1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

All about shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Duke_of_Windsor, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Duke_of_Windsor

Duke_of_Windsor Active Member

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Time to learn French. Strangely, I was just at that site. They have some great pictures there.

Maybe we should make Ernest translate everything for us.

3. Duke_of_Windsor

4. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Same site as translated by Google. It's not perfect, but you can usually make out the point of the text.

5. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior Member

Get a load of those sharkskin Galuchats.

6. Kaga

Kaga Senior Member

If my memory serves me correctly, galuchat is French for "shagreen", which would relate to the type of leather rather than to the type of shoe. I must feature it in an upcoming culinary battle... Kyo no tema wa... GALUCHAT DESU........

7. Duke_of_Windsor

I Agree :

The history of Galuchat is Japanese then French... but the quite French name. Mrs Galuchat, father and wire, family of gainiers established quay of the Clock during the XVIIIème century, were first to find art to soften and put color the skins of dogfish and sharks. At that time, one furnishes with them the surtouts with watches, the lancet boxes, the cases with scissors and razors, etc.

8. Duke_of_Windsor

I found a lot of nice pictures on that web site and gallery of Berluti, Weston, Lobb , Green, Crocket & Jones......

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Oh mama. Those things are friggin brilliant. But what the hell would I wear with those?

10. Duke_of_Windsor

Oh MAMA ....I red that those guys from Souliers.net worked on the Black Eyed Peas projects..... crocodile and galuchat shoes for BEP....

11. Duke_of_Windsor

Who are the great shoesmaker in USA ? It's difficult to buy american shoes in Europe... Why ?

12. Duke_of_Windsor

Does Berluti or Santoni exist in USA ? I'm curious because i'll live in New Jersey next year...

13. jcusey

Great shoemakers? None. Alden and Allen-Edmonds do produce good shoes, though. I believe that both are available in Europe, particularly the shell cordovan models, although they're much more expensive there than they are here.

14. jcusey

Barney's in New York just brought in a number of Berluti models, and I have read that they're building a store somewhere in Midtown that's scheduled to open next year. Santoni has a store on Madison Avenue, and Santoni shoes are widely available throughout the US.

15. Duke_of_Windsor

Thank's Jcusey, I suppose that prices are high [​IMG]??? Weston was imported in Manhattan some years ago and prices was twice ones of Paris.....