• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to come across as a journalist or anything so I didn't take pics. I can tell you Chay Cooper is a very fine gentleman and a pleasure to have met. (I also got a glimpse of Ron Rider when he came by to bid Chay farewell, bonus).

There were roughly 20 shoes (only one foot displayed) in a very artful array along 3 tables, each atop a merlot colored shoe bag and bearing a tag with the model name, last and color. Chay said he'd rushed to finish them for the trip but I couldn't find any area that was lax on any of them. I was tempted to order every pair right there on the spot.

Chay took time out to measure my feet and take a tracing, much the way the folks at Springline would when designing a custom last. (no more guessing about my size!) We then ironed out the details of the two shoes I would order. There were so many nice shoes I was still undecided so I called Chay after returning to my office & decided to create an entirely new shoe (a hybrid of the two I'd ordered) which shall be named after me according to Chay.

The best part is he gave me a glimpse of the shoe box that the handgrade line will come in and it's nothing short of spectacular. For those of you that missed this, you truly missed out on a great opportunity to meet a very fine man, and see some of his creations.

Alfred Sargent

Reaction score
Dear All,

A sincere thank you to everyone who braved the snowy conditions to visit me at The Warwick Hotel in New York.
I am, as some of you know, more at home working on the shoes than showing them, but the kind comments and friendly conversation from everyone that I met made me feel most welcome and at ease.
The visit was an enormous success, to the extent that I have had to curtail the introductory price offer - I never expected the volume of interest I received, it was flattering to say the least.
Right from the beginning of this journey with Clint's very first MTO, I have as mentioned been astounded by the comments displayed and I made a conscious decision that I wanted to give a offer as generous back to the forum's, I am glad that some of you have benefitted and saved yourselves in the region of $400 by ordering when with me.
I am also exceptionally happy to announce that AS Handgrade will now be permanent MTO option at possibly the most well regarded and beautifully presented shop in New York, Leffot.
Leffot is based in the West Village, 10 Christopher Street. The shop is only enhanced by its owner Mr Steven Taffel, who as I saw when at the shop, displays a level of service unsurpassed and sadly far too infrequently found.\t
We plan on introducing more styles to the range shortly and will gladly post pictures if you wish.
Kindest thanks again, Chay.

wingcat

Reaction score
ok, fashionistas, here i am thinking i know something about high end shoe brands and, at least today i can't figure out what company AS is. please help me out as the shoes in the photos are lovely indeed. thanx wing cat

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wingcat
ok, fashionistas, here i am thinking i know something about high end shoe brands and, at least today i can't figure out what company AS is. please help me out as the shoes in the photos are lovely indeed. thanx wing cat

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. But if you simply want to know what "AS" means, then refer to the previous poster's name.

Cheers

Clint

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I didn't want to come across as a journalist or anything so I didn't take pics. I can tell you Chay Cooper is a very fine gentleman and a pleasure to have met. (I also got a glimpse of Ron Rider when he came by to bid Chay farewell, bonus).

Chay took time out to measure my feet and take a tracing, much the way the folks at Springline would when designing a custom last. (no more guessing about my size!) We then ironed out the details of the two shoes I would order.

The best part is he gave me a glimpse of the shoe box that the handgrade line will come in and it's nothing short of spectacular. For those of you that missed this, you truly missed out on a great opportunity to meet a very fine man, and see some of his creations.

Agree with this completely. I also paid Chay a visit after Slewfoot did an excellent job of convincing me to do so. Well worth the time spent. Chay is very much a gentleman and was very generous with his time and expertise. The shoes are really quite spectacular. I ended up ordering two as a trial run (bruma adelaide and dark brown suede derby), but will likely go back to the well many more times. It also sounds, from subsequent email conversations with Chay that the trip was quite a success. Good news for those of us stateside!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sheesh! I can't believe you guys have placed orders already and I'm still debating! Glad it went well for you all. Too bad I couldn't make the show, but Chan and Peter Lee appointments in HK were calling!

Congrats to Chay and AS for a successful trip!

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
Agree with this completely. I also paid Chay a visit after Slewfoot did an excellent job of convincing me to do so. Well worth the time spent. Chay is very much a gentleman and was very generous with his time and expertise. The shoes are really quite spectacular. I ended up ordering two as a trial run (bruma adelaide and dark brown suede derby), but will likely go back to the well many more times. It also sounds, from subsequent email conversations with Chay that the trip was quite a success. Good news for those of us stateside!

I can't stop thinking about that dark brown grain derby, by far the most handsome derby I have seen to date.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the Browning derby I mentioned earlier (courtesy of Chay Cooper):

ASHandgradeBrowningCherryAS48.jpg

ASHandgradelineup019.jpg

ASHandgradelineup016.jpg

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ bigbris - Totally agree. I like that style a lot. One of my favorites from my visit. The one I saw was dark brown suede with lighter contrast stitching which I believe TC11201 ordered. It's on the list of potentials.

My Springline last should be to AS in a week or so and then I'll get a pair of try-on's to make any adjustments. Exciting stuff!

courty

Reaction score
I understand that these shoes are all available from the Alfred Sargent factory but cannot find any contact details. Is this info available somewhere along with a catalogue of the lasts and styles?

emptym

Reaction score
^Just email Chay Cooper directly at: chayc @ alfred-sargent.co.uk [spaces added to help prevent spam. Don't forget to delete them.]

^^^That's very nice, bris. Are they what you decided to order? I have a pair of wingtips in the works.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Here's the Browning derby I mentioned earlier (courtesy of Chay Cooper):

ASHandgradeBrowningCherryAS48.jpg

This is gorgeous
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

courty

Reaction score
emptym;3095262 said:
^Just email Chay Cooper directly at: chayc @ alfred-sargent.co.uk [spaces added to help prevent spam. Don't forget to delete them.]

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads