• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nate,those are very nice. What last is that?
Also,what last are the Adelaides on? I like them a lot,may place an order for them,loafers are very nice too. Clintonf,are the loafers on AS 53 last?
Price seems very reasonable,how is the quality and finish compared to shoes in that price range,say Vass?

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Nate,those are very nice. What last is that?
Also,what last are the Adelaides on? I like them a lot,may place an order for them,loafers are very nice too. Clintonf,are the loafers on AS 53 last?
Price seems very reasonable,how is the quality and finish compared to shoes in that price range,say Vass?

Hi, the double monks are mine and they are based upon the 99 Last.

I think that the Adelaides are on the 724 Last (I want to try a square toed last).

I can't say what last the loafers are on. However, my understanding is you can have the loafers on several lasts and colours.

I can't really say I'm an expert in shoes (I just like pretty things). However, being completely handmade probably gives Vass the edge.

Having said that, what I really like about AS is their flexibilty in building a shoe. They have been open, responsive and suggestive in helping me decide what shoes to have. They are also more than willing to listen to constructive criticism.

I've tried emailing Vass on 3 separate occasions, without success. I just have to lift the phone and I can have Chay ready to help me. That gives AS the edge in my book.

The AS leather is as good as I've experienced. I cannot tell the difference between the leather AS uses and some of the other big players (including Vass).

The construction is very good and from my limited understanding, AS is hoping to improve on the construction as time progresses. This is going to be interesting as I believe they have little room for improvement before they have to hand make the shoes.

I don't want to sound like a AS rep, but if you're in the market for some new shoes and fancy trying something "different", why not give them a go. £450 may seem reasonable for some, but to many (including myself) it's a lot of money.

I honestly feel that you would get you money's worth with a pair from AS, all things considered.

Cheers

Clint

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for upgrades to the line, i'd start with better looking laces; better buckles for the monks.

I have not tried the insole, but a great insole, heel interior cushioning goes a long way.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice, can someone comment on pricepoint?

emptym

Reaction score
Great thread idea, Clinton. AS is on to a great thing w/ their flexible MTO programs.
Originally Posted by forex
...Clintonf,are the loafers on AS 53 last?...
I think they're on the 48 last. Love that last. I would like a pair but totally plain (w/o tassels and medallion) and maybe in a saddle/chestnut crust leather. Is that a bad idea? I am loving my "OneShoe" pair from last year. But they're from the Premium range, not the Handgrade, with a price about half that of the Handgrade line. Here's a pic:
imgp3690.jpg
More in this thread.

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Very nice, can someone comment on pricepoint?
+1 If they're at all reasonably priced, I'm going to procure a pair of the handgrade monks.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
My god, What has happened to reading comprehension in this country.

Originally Posted by Alfred Sargent
The price is £450 inclusive of VAT. I have been asked this question elsewhere, I have posted what I wrote below. Thanks for the kind comments all, very much appreciated!

The price is as you suggest introductory and may possibly increase in the future, that said we will always offer value for money. We are driven to making shoes that people enjoy, that's the inspiration.

All customers who place orders before the end of April shall be guaranteed the same repeat price for one year from date of purchase.

All the materials used are top quality, from the fine calf's to the oak bark soles there has not nor will there ever be any compromise.
Customers, as displayed by members of the forums, know their shoes -it would be foolish of ourselves to think otherwise.

Undoubtedly, our competitors make some wonderful shoes. For people to say our shoes are comparable is flattering and very kind.
We welcome people to come to their own conclusions on the quality of our shoes and welcome any feedback, good or bad!

Kind regards,

Chay.

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
^
My god, What has happened to reading comprehension in this country.

uhoh.gif
Completely missed that. Thanks. Time to get some sleep.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
For anyone's who interested. I thought that it would be nice to put the pictures in the same place.

Last, AS 53 - Style Name, Carrol.

ahg001.jpg

ahg006.jpg

Clint

this is the nicest one, looks italian with the patinations and the last... but the last looks narrow.

and dont like the "heart" to the adelaide part...

would look better with flat laces

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Chay Cooper and Groover's are the same style/model right?

Correct they're the same shoe. The colors are Espresso and Vintage Cherry

walneal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the best Chay.
From what I can tell from the pics, the quality is as good as G&G/EG if not better.
+1 for Chay is a great guy to deal with

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by walneal
All the best Chay.
From what I can tell from the pics, the quality is as good as G&G/EG if not better.
+1 for Chay is a great guy to deal with

how can you tell if the quality is BETTER or just as good as EG / g&g from the photos?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads