1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clintonf, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Shipped on Mon, arrived today: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

3. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Wear these in good health. Should be careful with the pull tabs. See G&G thread.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  4. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Just fantastic !!

5. marburymadison

marburymadison Well-Known Member

How does AS compare with C & J?

1 person likes this.
  6. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Those boots have one naughty shaft. Hopefully the pull tabs will last, several members have had theirs broken. Apparently shell doesn't last very well due to the tab's horizontal stitching, they become like metro ticket corners.

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Those were in the G&G thread but no doubt the same principle applies to all manufacturers.

8. meister

meister Senior member

Hence why RM Williams has always put the pull tabs inside the boot heel spine.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

R.M Williams are really very solid and functional. Trickers does this too. Actually, I once asked for suede pulls, and they absolutely refused, on the basis that they would be too fragile. Leather does not take some types of pressure nearly as well as does, for example, nylon or silk. I really like Alfred Sargent boots, and wear them, but they are not really meant to be functional field boots.

10. emptym

Thanks guys.

And thanks for the warning about pull tabs tearing. On the one hand, I've had a pair of calfskin AS Miller boots for a couple years now, and the pull tabs have held up well, despite my straining them so much I've ripped a couple pairs laces trying to get them on. And since these are blutcher boots with a generous amt of hooks, I think there's less strain on/off. On the other hand, Myron Glaser of Glaser Designs once showed me how shell -- for all its abrasion and puncture resistance -- is easy to tear once it gets a cut. And your pt about perforations makes sense, VRavio. So I'll try to be careful w/ them.

11. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

M,

Chances are the pull tabs on your calfskin boots were doubled over and reinforced with a hidden strap of nylon. Don't try folding cordovan....it can be done but it's not often pretty.

12. emptym

Hi DW, They were just a plain loop of calfskin. The only difference between the two is the stitching's a bit more widely-spaced on the cordovan, which is probably better given the possibility of tearing. Here's a couple pics of both. [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. DWFII

M,

Yes,I see that. I would have split and folded the calfskin, as I indicated. Oh well, different strokes, I guess.

I just don't understand why they would stitch straight across...I would have stitched a curved "V", or, more likely, an inverted "V" (what I call a "gothic arch" pattern).

The tab would not rip if done that way.

14. meister

meister Senior member

Exactly.... but as Mum used to say "Old dogs for hard roads and puppies for footpaths".

15. emptym

Very interesting and helpful, DW. As always, I appreciate your wisdom.

Do you think a single layer of shell cordovan sewn in an arch shape would not rip? How were the G&G boots that tore sewn? Doubled loops would definitely be strong. For tall boots, they'd be great. For short boots, I think they'd be more likely to catch on one's pant cuffs. But nylon reinforcement might be a good compromise.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  16. DWFII

The G&G's were sewn straight across. Cordovan is really not all that strong in terms of tensile strength. But yes, I think the arch shape would have prevented ripping and since the stitch down of the strap is well below the topline on the Alfred Sargent's (I can't remember on the G&G), I don't see why a straight line of stitching was even contemplated. No reason...even aesthetically.

Again, you can't really fold cordovan much less split it. I suppose you could back it with something of a similar colour and sandwich a reinforcing strip in-between--that might be the way I'd do it if I just had to have a straight line of stitching. .

As far as folded straps go...they would be no more likely to catch your pant cuff than an unfolded one...unless the job was done with thick fingers.

1 person likes this.
  17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

wow. these are bangin

18. NORE

NORE Senior member

I saw this on the front page and instantly missed vox :sad:

19. emptym

^How did they remind you of Vox, B? I posted the shot of the loafer's sole, w/ you in mind. Did you get to the trunk show at Leffot last week?

20. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Looks like my AS Hunt Handgrades are nearing completion......:thumbs-up: [​IMG]

1 person likes this.