1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clintonf, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

[​IMG]

Love the color, a little darker than my BB Peal Algonquins.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

A little birdie tells me "We need to check out the Business Press regarding AS in the next few days!" Anyone care to expand on that ????????

Who knows (I certainly don't), maybe Col. Sanders knows something we don't know (yet).
    When the company was in trouble, maybe three years ago, there also was an internal "mole" posting here.

…..as the company is curently up for sale I am really concerned!

…...after the new owners take over Sargents.

3. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Col. Sanders and (fried) birdie certainly have something in common.

4. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Something is def "afoot!" [​IMG]

5. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I think any new press just has to do with some new designs and a new line coming out. I believe it will be in the Wall Street Journal. Not sure if it will be online edition or print or both. Let's not all jump to negative conclusions before we read one word about anything.

6. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Something is def "afoot!" [​IMG]

This is a little worrying, but I do remember some pernicious trolling about AS in the past.

Whatever happens I do hope everything is good with Chay and his crew. They are shoe-making masters, and Chay is an exceptionally pleasant person to deal with. I've rarely encountered anyone else with his dedication and genuine friendliness - in any field.

7. NORE

NORE Senior member

Whatever happens I do hope everything is good with Chay and his crew. They are shoe-making masters, and Chay is an exceptionally pleasant person to deal with. I've rarely encountered anyone else with his dedication and genuine friendliness - in any field.

Seconded. FWIW he will be stateside again in the spring.

8. fullb

fullb Senior member

A little birdie tells me "We need to check out the Business Press regarding AS in the next few days!" Anyone care to expand on that ????????

Do you speak about that? : http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...729429978.html

9. Col.Sanders

Col.Sanders New Member

Had it confirmed to me today that Alfred Sargent & Sons has started the process of liquidation.

The new company is "Sargent Shoes On-line Ltd" which has been registered to the Sargents premises since last june???

Let's just hope some good can come from all of this....

10. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Just spoke to a friend of Chay's in the UK. This was a purely administrative move, done in order to regain control of the firm after the previous administration in 2009. The company was under administration for two hours. No orders are affected.

11. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Just spoke to a friend of Chay's in the UK. This was a purely administrative move, done in order to regain control of the firm after the previous administration in 2009. The company was under administration for two hours. No orders are affected.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

13. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It was legally under the administration of the UK courts for a brief period of time so that briefs could be presented regarding the true ownership. Once the judge was satisfied control of the company was returned to the party determined to be the owner. Any questions?

14. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Doesn't sound like a problem to me. Good enough to place another order ASAP.

15. Burton

Burton Senior member

Previous post on pre-packed administration is correct. This will hopefully put AS on a solid footing for success going forward. At the end of the day, shoe makers are manufacturers and cash is king. I wish them all the best and look forward to seeing many new shoes in the future. Things are just starting to get exciting for them.

16. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Glad to hear it confirmed. Their product is about to do great things for their name and reputation.

17. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Forgive my ignorance but for anyone reading the last posts in this thread at face value it looks that some people live in some kind of strange world where any AS news is good news.

it looks like if it was revealed that all AS handgrades produced in the last year were found to be contaminated by radiation the same posters would be arguing that radiation cures cancer so it is all ok

Also from these posters it seems AS is a one man operation. Chay this, Chay that; does anyone else work there?

Note: for those that think I am talking bullocks if anything it is ignorance of what is going on- not because I am backing some other manufacturer in the current shoe wars- between AS and central European makers. I couldn't t give a damn as they both seem to be associated with excessive promotion in SF (well the C&J and EG anglophilia is also quite parochial- but at least natural as these are more established firms and American anglophiles dominate the forum

What's your point?

18. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Forgive my ignorance but for anyone reading the last posts in this thread at face value it looks that some people live in some kind of strange world where any AS news is good news.

it looks like if it was revealed that all AS handgrades produced in the last year were found to be contaminated by radiation the same posters would be arguing that radiation cures cancer so it is all ok

Also from these posters it seems AS is a one man operation. Chay this, Chay that; does anyone else work there?

Note: for those that think I am talking bullocks if anything it is ignorance of what is going on- not because I am backing some other manufacturer in the current shoe wars- between AS and central European makers. I couldn't t give a damn as they both seem to be associated with excessive promotion in SF (well the C&J and EG anglophilia is also quite parochial- but at least natural as these are more established firms and American anglophiles dominate the forum

what ?

As long as AS keeps taking orders and delivering them, what happens internally there is their own business.

19. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Worst case scenario:
    You pay Chay £500 for a pair of MTO shoes, but then AS become in serious financial trouble, even more then they was before; not even the staff prostituting themselves on the streets of Rushden can help them.

Someone will come along, save AS and you get your £500 shoes (maybe some weeks late, but you get your shoes).

I do agree with your opinions on AS, C&J and E&G to an an extent although I do own C&J and EG shoes. AA and SF do push certain brands over others, even when quality is par (i.e. Church's vs C&J); however, this happens in every environment, whether it is Purse Forum or your local pub.

You have to take what is said on the forum with a pinch of salt and in cases, a big pinch of salt.

20. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

That is either the most naive or most dishonest post I have read in a while

You mean to say that if you have a business which depends on a key supplier, and there is speculation regarding the continuing viability of said supplier, you would remain relaxed about any of that as long as the latest shipment has arrived?

Well your business won't last long.

You would not worry whether said supplier could actually deliver the next shipment or if the quality would continue to be the same right? - furthermore you would not even begin to suspect that maybe the stuff you received in the latest shipments may not be up to scratch- because lets get real, businesses don't go under in a few days- they normally slowly degrade financially accompanied with cost-cutting measures

Yes my friend just send cash ahead to chay or whoever to pay for 500 more pairs to show your confidence

After that I will send you a picture of a nice big bridge which is for sale, and you just need to send cash upfront to a certain PO box

[​IMG]

What do you know that we don't? And how do you know it?