• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent - GONE!

Groover

Reaction score
News is circulating that Alfred Sargent have gone out of business.

Last month it was reported that redundancies would affect the company:

http://www.northantset.co.uk/rushden...ncy.4679645.jp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northamptonshir..._feature.shtml

I got in touch with the British Footwear Association (www.britfoot.com) this morning and they confirmed that they had in fact closed down this week.

Not only is this very very sad news but I wonder how this impacts the G&G considering they rent floor space/equipment to produce their ranges.

Leather man

Reaction score
Just read about this on Ask Andy Groover and have posted there too. Incredibly sad news - like you I wonder how this will affect G&G - I believe their business is profitable and doing well but its the premises I wonder about - will they need to move etc? If you find out more please post.

Mostly of course very sad for the Sargent family, the work force and the customers. There were so many plans and hopes for a renaissance of Sargents now all dashed
frown.gif

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ColeFieldHouse
What happens to BB's Peal line? No more Made in England?

There are still a large number of Peals that are made by C&J, or at least that's what they looked like when I stuck my head into their store in NYC this summer...

This is a sad sad story...
confused.gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew things were tough and they were downsizing, but I hoped they'd pull through.

Maybe they'll be a rescue bid but I don't hold out much hope.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are holding a liquidation sale of their existing stock, please could someone update.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what does this also do to Shipton & Henneage?

Clark

Reaction score
This is, if true, very sad indeed. Some of my favourite shoes are from AS.

/C

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
what does this also do to Shipton & Henneage?

Well you see this is the interesting bit. I've had some shoes on order from S&H and I spoke to them today, they iun turn have spoken to AS and they're still sending out shoes and taking orders and as far as they're concerned they're still in business. The plot thickens.....

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Extremely disheartening.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things will only get worse :-( It is wise to remember that our enthusiasm isn't shared by enough people to keep these places afloat, so buy up now, before it's all too late.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad news. It begins.

Customers willing to spend a lot of money on shoes are still around and will be, but they're going to spend on a brand with a marketing budget and the ability to cut costs by moving production or cutting corners.

If you care about a given maker -- and can afford to shop BEFORE they go bankrupt and sell everything at fire sale prices -- do it now. If it is fiscally prudent for you in these dark times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads