• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Armfield Vs Crockett and Jones Audley

TrickersCity

Reaction score
I was about to order a pair of Alfred Sargent Armfields when I started coming across some threads that say Alfred Sargents leather quality is not the best and they look tired after a few months of wearing.

Can anyone give some insight on the Alfred Sargent Armfields? As a shoe on its own, and also among the other shoes in this price range?

The Crockett and Jones Audley are around £100 more expensive with the deals I've found, I'm not sure this is worth it seeing am I'm already pushing my budget around the £350 mark.

Quick replies would be appreciated as it is supposed to be a christmas present, thanks!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You're over thinking this.
Just get the Tricker's you originally found for 200gbp.

TrickersCity

Reaction score
You're over thinking this.
Just get the Tricker's you originally found for 200gbp.
Unfortunately I didn't look at the trickers in enough detail, the cap is in a navy blue colour which ruins the whole shoe IMO.

It is essentially a Tricker's Henley, made for asos with this odd addition. If it were not for that flaw they would be incredible value for money.

http://www.asos.com/Trickers/Tricke...=13503&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=2&clr=Black

Do you have any other suggestions at this price range, as you say I may be overthinking this as I've never purchased a premium shoe before, some guidance would be helpful.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh that is kind of a nasty look with the blue cap.

I think either the AS or C&J would be an excellent choice.
You've left it pretty late for Christmas, but I'd try A Fine Pair of Shoes for the AS. They include lasted trees.

Also try Richard the Shoe Healer. He includes Tricker's branded trees with stock models. See if he's got the black Henley in stock.

I'd be happy to receive any of those as a gift (well, if I didn't already have a pair of black Henleys).

TrickersCity

Reaction score
I think most people would be delighted in any of these shoes. For some people this is a trivial decision as they already own $25,000 worth of shoes, for me this is an expensive proposition and an important one at that, hence the "overthinking" as you may call it.

The question I'm asking is more, where to draw the line in terms of price and also who offers the best shoe for the money. This is most likely the only pair of high end shoes my dad will ever own, they need to be something that will last and look pristine and timeless for as long as possible (provided proper care of course.)

It's highely unlikely he will be wearing them everyday, but often enough that they will see some wear. Now I don't mind spending an extra £100 if the shoe is going to last 10 years and still look as good as new as opposed to looking knackered in that time period. I don't know any of these manufacturers, I'm simply going off what I have read on here, with a massive bag of mixed opinions.

I still think the shoe manufacturers have inflated the prices unreasonably over the past few years, looking back at some of the prices from say 2009. Nonetheless as this is a one time purchase for him and an introduction for me into the world of high-end shoes, I would like to buy the best possible product for the price.

Any further suggestions/ opinions would be welcomed on the topic.

(P.S I've spoken to shoehealer and he has given me some advice, but I'd still like to hear what you have to say (especially any owners of the mentioned shoes.)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think you're trying to quantify some rather intangible things.

I've got a pair of Henleys. I'm happy with them. But I got them at deep discount from Sierra Trading Post a while ago. I think they were around $300.

If I were choosing between those three, I'd probably go with the C&J.
The retail price for the AS and C&J are about 400GPB and the Henley about 345.
I believe the AS and C&J are hand grade whereas the Tricker's are bench grade.

Stirling

Reaction score
Another vote for C&J.

Tried and tested quality. Worth paying the difference where you want a sure thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads