• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is anyone familiar with the 99 last? I've got my eye on the Ramsey double monk. I've always struggled with monks because of my high instep but note that the instep in my AS shoes are pretty good in this respect. I've had no problems with the 87 last.

The instep is fine but the last is shorter than other AS lasts

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who'd you suggest taking my normal size? I take a 9 in the 87 last shoes. Any idea how the instep compares to the C&J 348 last?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do up a half size on the 99 from other AS lasts.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who'd you suggest taking my normal size? I take a 9 in the 87 last shoes. Any idea how the instep compares to the C&J 348 last?

I do up a half size on the 99 from other AS lasts.

Yes, what I understand is that most people size up half a size. I once ordered 2 Ramsey shoes, one in suede and one in calf. The leather one was way too small so I had to exchange it for half a size bigger. The suede one was tight but was bearable.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a pretty consistent US 10.5D and I went with a 9.5UK on my AS Cambridge boot in the 87 last and I find the fit to be perfect. I take a 9 UK in the CJ 348, as I find that last to be very long if that helps for reference.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you take a smaller size in the 348 last. My AS 87 and C&J 348 are both 9uk. I think the best thing to do is order both 9 and 9.5. Hopefully one will fit. How did you find the instep and width compared to the 348?

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
instep is good for both - I just found the 348 to fit long.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SuitedDx

Herring Holmes II - AS 109 Last

These are a very sharp looking boot. The quality of uppers aren't comparable to my Armfields and Moores nor was I expecting them to be for $250. However, at this price point I'd happily give my money to Herring over, say, Meermin.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SuitedDx

These are a very sharp looking boot. The quality of uppers aren't comparable to my Armfields and Moores nor was I expecting them to be for $250. However, at this price point I'd happily give my money to Herring over, say, Meermin.

Uppers might not be good as a $450 shoe, but that last and elegance is right there. Great pick up.

mbaltazar

Reaction score
A question to you gents.

A size 8,5UK in last 109 would be the equivalent size in last 87?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@SuitedDx

Thanks! An you show pics after you've worn them a couple of times? I'm curious as how the uppers crease.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads