• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

Braid

Reaction score
I'm not buying right now but are very interested to know if they might sell from the factory. You must be shoe trade. I live nearby but didn't think they allowed customers in.
I am not in the shoe trade, I was curious about AS and since I was already planning a trip to Northampton I called the factory number.

They were really kind and told me it was possible to have a quick tour of the factory and also buy shoes.

When I went there I visited the showroom first, there you find examples of all their lines (country, exclusive, handgrade etc..) and you can buy "first" at retail price (no discount I am afraid) or seconds for half the price more or less. Seconds are available only for the exlusive line, they go in the factory and check what is available there. Availability is very limited, so do not expect a proper factory shop with a lot of seconds available.

The factory visit was amazing and I could see up close all the machines they use and shoes in each stage of development (lasting, heel stacking, welting, finishing, refurbishment/resole etc.. ).

Overall it was a great experience and I am impressed by the quality of the shoes. It is an amazing brand run by amazing people and it's a real shame it is so difficult to find!

If you call them I am sure you can arrange a visit as well, definitely recommended!

Phoenician

Reaction score
Tredders has some Alfred Sargent available on sale, cheers

I got my awesome Selkirks from Tredders recently. Between the sale and a coupon code, came to $270. A terrific deal on an awesome boot

20200603_142231~2.jpg
20200603_142104~2.jpg
20200603_141706.jpg
20200603_141647.jpg
20200603_141623~2.jpg

monkey66

Reaction score
I raised this on the Trickers thread but didn't see this thread until now. I have this lovely pair of AS Exclusive Derby's. I bought them on eBay several years ago much earlier in my journey. I really love them and are a mainstay of my rotation. Would be interested in anyone recognises them and can share some information. The only marking inside is handwritten "DARREN JOHNS". The shoes were flat brown and I have added the burnishing with polish. The leather is butter soft and remarkably good condition a couple of years in. Fiddled spine and Dainite sole.
20200806_094437.jpg

20200806_084550.jpg

20200805_075929.jpg

Last edited:

RonnyK

Reaction score
I raised this on the Trickers thread but didn't see this thread until now. I have this lovely pair of AS Exclusive Derby's. I bought them on eBay several years ago much earlier in my journey. I really love them and are a mainstay of my rotation. Would be interested in anyone recognises them and can share some information. The only marking inside is handwritten "DARREN JOHNS". The shoes were flat brown and I have added the burnishing with polish. The leather is butter soft and remarkably good condition a couple of years in. Fiddled spine and Dainite sole.
View attachment 1436851
View attachment 1436852

View attachment 1436853
View attachment 1436851
View attachment 1436852

View attachment 1436853
Hi,

Looks quite a lot as Pytchley. I have only seen them in grain leather though and they are of the country collection, not exclusive. A bit confused about these shoes, I have never seen Exclusive with Dainite sole. Have only seen single oakbark leather or city rubber sole, also the style is more Country than Exclusive.

George Mason

Reaction score
Can someone confirm if these pebble grain boots from BB are Alfred Sargent's? Thanks in advance.

fab53e9b-41dc-47b7-be3b-99829c8151a2-jpeg.1436780
This is the BB version of Alfred Sargent's Bexley model in the 87 last. At one point BB was selling them for double the cost of what British retailers (such as A Fine Pair of Shoes) were selling them. I also think they were slightly modified by AS for BB, and some comments from customers on the BB website indicated displeasure.

I have a mahogany version of the Bexley purchased from AFPOS, and love them - a great casual chukka that can dress up a bit. Wish AS still sold to retailers...

monkey66

Reaction score
Hi,

Looks quite a lot as Pytchley. I have only seen them in grain leather though and they are of the country collection, not exclusive. A bit confused about these shoes, I have never seen Exclusive with Dainite sole. Have only seen single oakbark leather or city rubber sole, also the style is more Country than Exclusive.
They are definitely on the country side with a storm welt but the leather is super soft.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AFPOS was the one and only source for my five pairs of AS.
I frankly cannot understand the marketing politic of AS, which now is apparently only selling its shoes through the Bowen shops and with that brand - except for a few pairs which still sport the AS label.
I did not check their quality though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads