• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

Trusar

Reaction score
Are these cracks or creases?

Attachments

• IMG_20200408_190414.jpg
    IMG_20200408_190414.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 140

Meyboom

Reaction score
Are these cracks or creases?
Leather is a natural product and shoes are handmade. These very slight 'flaws' are cherished by shoe lovers because they prove it isnt an industrial product made by machines and the leather wasnt coated with layers of chemical finishing. The most important thing is to wear and love your shoes. I for one think that well worn quality shoes look just as good as pristine new ones...

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather is a natural product and shoes are handmade. These very slight 'flaws' are cherished by shoe lovers because they prove it isnt an industrial product made by machines and the leather wasnt coated with layers of chemical finishing. The most important thing is to wear and love your shoes. I for one think that well worn quality shoes look just as good as pristine new ones...

agreed. Well worn and cared for quality shoes are better than new in my opinion

Trusar

Reaction score
Has anyone oiled their full grain leather shoes before? I did it on a pair of barkers I got from tk max. It's definitely good for creases and most probably for cracks too. The colour went from light tan to reddish brown chestnut colour.
My formula was she's butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil

Trusar

Reaction score
Just wondering because of all the conflicting into on the internet.

What about on the none creases parts? Or if the shoe is new and has no creases. Then is it OK to oil it?

LPMIII

Reaction score

What about on the none creases parts? Or if the shoe is new and has no creases. Then is it OK to oil it?

The first question that comes to mind is why oil over a standard conditioner?

The oil itself isn't necessarily the problem (it can be but that's not what this is about). In general, anything that makes your shoes tacky or more likely to have dust stick to them is bad. It doesn't matter that creases have yet to form, they will, and when they do, abrasive dust and dirt will be in them.

I have had very good luck with Bick 4. It is cheap, water based, absorbs well, and has never darkened a piece of leather I've put it on. I use it for both the outside of the shoe, as well as the leather lining.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only footwear I oil is my oil tanned Red Wing boots and this is just a light coat very occasionally.

For your Alfred Sargent I would just use a standard shoe cream or conditioner.

@LPMIII recommended Bick4 conditioner but I am going to assume you are in the UK as you mentioned T K Maxx. Last time I checked Bick4 wasn’t available in the UK unfortunately. I’ve heard good things about it.

I would recommend Saphir products from @Afinepairofshoes such as creme universelle conditioner, coloured shoe cream etc

From the photo you showed earlier your shoes looked in great shape. There were creases but this is normal and the creases looked minimal to me indicating good quality leather.

Regular brushing with a horsehair brush is the most effective way of avoiding cracks. Conditioning is only needed occasionally. Shoe trees kept in between wears will help keep creases minimal also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads