• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see there is a shop in Paris but still a pity they are not on display anywhere within an hour of the factory Many of the Northampton shoe makes have factory shops.
Actually they have lots of AS shoes, branded Bowen; I was at the shop at Pic Arcade a couple years ago. The last I think is 'AS' or something generic, and primarily an almond toe, not unlike the 109.

You can go on their website: https://www.bowen.fr/catalog/ALFRED-SARGENT,76533181.html

Hope this helps!

greenhouse

Reaction score
You might want to try here:
Seemingly they still have a UK 9

Anyway, thank you for finding them! Ordered. I really should have taken advantage of AFPOS's sale. I did not know the Armfield would be so hard to find. Now to locate the shoe trees....

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Good luck: the Armfields are awesome!
... and congratulations for your wedding!

gmehra

Reaction score
t
Actually they have lots of AS shoes, branded Bowen; I was at the shop at Pic Arcade a couple years ago. The last I think is 'AS' or something generic, and primarily an almond toe, not unlike the 109.

You can go on their website: https://www.bowen.fr/catalog/ALFRED-SARGENT,76533181.html

Hope this helps!
the bowen shoes are of lower quality than the AS shoes. for example the bowen shoes have open channel stitching for the leather sole vs the AS that have closed channel stitching

PS it's interesting that the bowen site does not deduct VAT for orders to the US, you can probably get a cheaper price by emailing AS directly here

Last edited:

greenhouse

Reaction score
t

the bowen shoes are of lower quality than the AS shoes. for example the bowen shoes have open channel stitching for the leather sole vs the AS that have closed channel stitching

PS it's interesting that the bowen site does not deduct VAT for orders to the US, you can probably get a cheaper price by emailing AS directly here

I think the shoes he linked are alfred sargent's new eponymous line. The model names line up. No idea about vat though.

gmehra

Reaction score
I think the shoes he linked are alfred sargent's new eponymous line. The model names line up. No idea about vat though.
yeah that link to the Bowen website shows the actual AS shoes (ha AS stamped on the shoe) - but their stores also carry Bowen shoes which are made in the same factory, has Bowen stamped on the shoe, but are of lower quality - here are the shoes I'm referring to

RonnyK

Reaction score
Is anyone still stocking the armfield? I've been looking for a black pair in 9 uk on 109, and it's impossible to locate. Even alfred sargent themselves don't have it. They only had seconds. I really want one for my wedding, as I know the 109 last fits me perfectly.

You can try these, they still get deliveries from AS.

greenhouse

Reaction score
You can try these, they still get deliveries from AS.

Yes, I saw those. I've already ordered an armfield from tredders. Thanks, though!

The reason I am set on the 109 last is that I have two AS's on it and it is my best fitting last. I doubt bespoke could give me a noticeable improvement in fit. 104 fits tighter from what I've researched. Also, I think the round toe on the 109 is more conservative than the smart round on the 104. I'm wearing the shoe for my wedding, so I want something fairly conservative and very comfortable. No surprises. The Armfield in 109 ticks every box.

greenhouse

Reaction score
@Luigi_M Unfortunate update.... I was curious how Tredders magically got hold of a 9 UK when their site did not list it before, so I e-mailed them with a few questions concerning the origin and condition of the shoes right after I placed the order. They informed me that the shoes are seconds. My suspicion is that they are the same seconds Alfred Sargent offered to me at a greatly discounted price (150 GBP!), which they sent off to Tredders after I declined. Small world. Needless to say, I canceled my order.

I am angry that a store would try to pass off obvious seconds as firsts and charge full price (470 GBP). Given the nature of the flaw (as shown in pictures Tredders provided in their reply -- the site at the time of purchase showed a stock photo of a flawless pair), I would have easily caught it. I'm not an idiot.* I think I will stick with my AE Park Avenues.

*Tredders replied to my e-mail, refunded my order, and informed me they had no idea that the shoes were seconds until they went to their warehouse to look earlier today. They removed the shoes from their website (will probably re-offer them in the sale section), so I have no reason to doubt their statement. Wish them the best.

Last edited:

ShooIn

Reaction score
Herring have the Charles II made by AS on the 109 last, not to the Exclusive specification, but pretty nice shoes. I have a pair of full brogues from this range and am pretty pleased with them

greenhouse

Reaction score
Herring have the Charles II made by AS on the 109 last, not to the Exclusive specification, but pretty nice shoes. I have a pair of full brogues from this range and am pretty pleased with them

Yes, I've seen those. I wasn't going to buy them, but herring sent me a 20% discount earlier today.... so I'm giving them a shot.

WilYa

Reaction score
Grabbed a NOS AS country derby made for Marks&Spencer, could be 10+ years old
Supremely supple Scotch grain on triple leather soles:eek: IMG_20200214_110037.jpg
IMG_20200214_110633.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads