ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitedDx, Jun 11, 2012.

1. wurger

wurger Senior member

2. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

What were the lighting conditions for those photos? Oak obviously can look like dark brown and also like a shade or two above tan depending on lighting.

3. wurger

wurger Senior member

The first photo is taken on an overcast morning before I go to work, so the lighting is poor even with ceiling lights.

The 2nd photo is taken inside my office, well-lit environment all around.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

4. Northampton21

Northampton21 Senior member

Very nice looking shoes! Lovely colour. ..

5. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Hey guys

For those with the Moore cherry, what colour cream polish do you use? I intend to maintain the tinge of red that it has. I'm thinking mahogany from Saphir seems to be the closest match. What do you fellas think?

Cheers.

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

From Pediwear, "Alfred Sargent recommend the Saphire Dark Brown Pate de Lux for use with this colour of the Moore."

7. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Thanks wurger. I saw that on pediwear which refers to the dark brown wax and took a look at it. Since I ordered the cream, I asked AFPOS and they suggested mahogany... which appears to have more of a tinge of red. Hopefully it turns out OK. Also really hoping this pair will turn up fitting my feet well.

8. wurger

wurger Senior member

For polishing, you can always use a lighter colour for shining and protection, that is why people use neutral, so I am never too fussed about the exact colour.

From my understanding, darker polish is mainly used for patina.

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I have the bordeaux (recommeded by AFPoS) and it matches quite well. Wurger is correct though about using something that's lighter. I go the same route typically using conditioners more often and polish once in a while just to add color again.

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

11. laufer

laufer Senior member

I think I said this in AFPOS thread I will use just Saphire Dark Brown Pate de Lux as recommended by AS. I am curious to see what happens. For some reason AS felt obliged to recommend this particular polish with this particular color. I do not see AS making recommendations for their other colors. AS must have reason to for this. So I will give it a go and see what happens I suppose I will post the results over time. It would be nice if other who use different polish post their results too so we can compare results.

12. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Sounds
    sounds like a plan. I'm using Bordeaux.

13. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

It looked to me like it might just be the finishing too. Caked on cream and polish can be fairly thick. But I haven't felt them, as you have. I wonder if they'd let you experiment with them with some cream to see if it is just the finish before you send them back. If it is just the finish, you save the trouble of the return. If it isn't, you both have more peace of mind and the shoes shouldn't be damaged from some cream and elbow grease. If they were mine, I'd try alcohol as a second step, but that'd be more risky.
    Bengalstripe posted something similar, and perhaps more informative a couple years ago. Can't seem to find it now though.

I once asked Chay what the differences were between handgrade and exclusives. One difference was that only one pair of handgrades is made from a skin, whereas two (or three?) exclusives are made from one skin. I listed some other differences here in a discussion w/ DW.

14. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Richard is great to deal with and good prices.

I've listed my Hannover's FS. Now the 2nd-pair of AS's I've owned and then later sold, which is a bit sad to me as they are great shoes. I'm certain a 3rd pair will be purchased at some point.

[​IMG]

15. wurger

wurger Senior member