1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitedDx, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ElementHU

ElementHU Senior member

It's an awesome last. I envy your Millers and wish I had jumped in on that, but I was still green about MTO at the time. I need some Moores in my life.

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

You really should get Moore.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

How are the Millers working out for you? Awesome aren't they?

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I have yet to wear them except to try them on in the house, the weather here is still quite warm.

However they are awesome looking boots, and should come in real handy in a couple of months.

5. wurger

wurger Senior member

Nice, you should get more shoes. :slayer:

6. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

I'm in the process of doing that very thing, although none of my current MTO's are Alfred Sargent.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  7. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

[​IMG] great shoes... but go slow, your wallet will thank you... happy wearing!

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

9. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

J.Crew's text written by someone who neither knows shoes nor anything other than packaging. Cobbler... exclusive style (Ramsey anyone?)

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Wouldn't it be cordwainer, not cobbler? :confused:

11. bourbonbasted

To be fair "cordwainer" is a pretty esoteric term.

Per the "exclusive" comment I'm not sure what specs J. Crew has requested. The colors or materials or lasts may have changed. Doesn't appear that there are any major changes to anything, but plenty of companies make one small tweak here or there and all of a sudden it's something "exclusive."

The main thing that perplexes me is what regular J. Crew customer is going to spend $500+ on shoes...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  12. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Well, I had the same kind of doubt when J. Crew start carrying Alden, but looks like it has worked for them so far.

13. bourbonbasted

I guess I just see Alden fitting their demo and aesthetic better: more rugged designs carefully selected to compliment "signature looks." They also beat the "Made in America" drum at every turn. With AS, though, you're getting a sleeker last and a decidedly British design. I could maybe see it if they had a line of expensive/higher-end suits, but seems a bit weird to buy $500 shoes for a $350 suit...

14. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Probably right b/c it looks like an inferior sole treatment compared to the Exclusive line. More like the old Premier grade shoes.

15. green garden

green garden Senior member

This may be very good for AS because it gives them a very broad distribution in the US market. I remember seeing a couple of interview where Alden executives (can't remember the names) give credit to their partnership with JCrew for the explosion of interest in their brand. I think it's a smart move on AS's part. And yes, I think paying $500 would be a little too much since they are probably not the same as the Exclusive line. Keeping my eye on the Labor Day sale... :)

16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Interesting that they started on this path after much of the revamp was geared towards a higher market line around C&J HG. I wonder if the sales didn't meet expectations. The same can be seen with Cheaney and their Imperial line. When it first came out, there were numerous model but now I think there are down to 4 or so.

17. wurger

wurger Senior member

Looking at the photos, have to agree, it has a lower heel, standard flat sole with aloft stitching, definitely Premier grade shoes.

18. meister

meister Senior member

First day at school.

[​IMG]

Progress report

5 hours later have broken in beautifully and so comfortable on day one.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  19. wurger

wurger Senior member

Lovely Cherry Moore!

20. wurger

wurger Senior member

I owe my shoe love to Alfred Sargent and a pleasant experience of online purchasing from Pediwear, since 7 of the 14 pairs that I wear are Alfred Sargents, shameless cross post to this thread, where I did my first post to SF as well. :slayer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.