• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, question for armfield owners, how sleek is the shoe? I'm looking for an Oxford and currently I have my church city line HK model which I really like the shape of. I know someone posted a comparison pic with the AE pair but it still looks rather chunky to me. Any real life experiences? Thanks

I have handled and tried on Church's Hong Kong in David Jones, you need to keep in mind that AS Exclusive is about 2 grades above Church's City Line, since the city line is Church's entry level and below Custom Line, and AS Exclusive is above Custom line, generally speaking.

As for the leather and finishing touches, Armfield is calf, while the Hong Kong is binder finish, channelled sole compare to non-channelled.

As for chunkiness, its width at the ball of the feet is about the same for both shoes, Armfield probably slightly more wide, however, the toe is more asymmetrical and is slightly more pointy at the end.

Its fiddle waist is a lot more elegant and slim, and the toe of the shoe is pointed more forward than upward, while the Church's shoes' toes are more pointing upward. Personally, I don't really like any shoe that have that big curve in between the toe and the vamp throat line, reminds me of a duck bill, :eh:

AS is definitely a worthy buy for its price. :)

My Armfield in action today

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can't go wrong with either one. In regards to price, I think both the AS Moore and G&G St. James are comparable to their price points... although at AFPoS' sale price, the AS Moore was an easy sell.

By the way are they the same color, or one is darker than the other?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless someone has both in hand, it would be hard to tell...

I have sampled the GG vintage cherry, it did not look as red as the pictures I have seen. Comparable to the Moore pictures, but it has been some time...

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love how this shoe looks here. Aargh, must resist; don't need any more dress shoes

I thought you crossed that threshold long ago.

Go ahead get it, you know you want it.:rotflmao:

You have it easy, I am trying to justify a cherry Moore even though I already have a black pair... ain't going to happen for me this time :embar:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
S MILLER cognac shell cordovan MTO

How sweet it is

Last edited:

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did a bit of searching, but can't find my exact sizing question regarding the 99 last for AS. I am a 9.5E U.S. - would I be safe with a 9 U.K. due to slightly wider foot? I don't currently own any AS.

I ask because there is a pair I want on AFPOS, but they only have the 9UK in stock.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did a bit of searching, but can't find my exact sizing question regarding the 99 last for AS.  I am a 9.5E U.S. - would I be safe with a 9 U.K. due to slightly wider foot? I don't currently own any AS.  

I ask because there is a pair I want on AFPOS, but they only have the 9UK in stock.  

I sized down from US 7E to UK 6.5 on the last 99, well, I wear all of my AS dress shoes in 6,5. But some other members have to size down a whole size in other AS lasts, only .5 in the 99 last. So I think a UK 9 should be fine.

But you should always check with AFPOS with sizing by giving them your foot measurements to minimise disappointments.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of the sudden I find I have not just one pair due this week, but now I have two pair of Alfred Sargents due to arrive.

The first was on sale, and a bit too good to pass up. (Cherry Moores)

I just closed the deal on the second pair.

The second pair is something I knew I wanted for over 6 months now.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

AS MILLER cognac shell cordovan MTO

How sweet it is

All of the sudden I find I have not just one pair due this week, but now I have two pair of Alfred Sargents due to arrive.

The first was on sale, and a bit too good to pass up. (Cherry Moores)

I just closed the deal on the second pair.

The second pair is something I knew I wanted for over 6 months now.

heeey noooow!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads