1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitedDx, Jun 11, 2012.

1. wurger

wurger Senior member

From Pediwear, "Alfred Sargent recommend the Saphire Dark Brown Pate de Lux for use with this colour of the Moore."

2. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Thanks wurger. I saw that on pediwear which refers to the dark brown wax and took a look at it. Since I ordered the cream, I asked AFPOS and they suggested mahogany... which appears to have more of a tinge of red. Hopefully it turns out OK. Also really hoping this pair will turn up fitting my feet well.

3. wurger

wurger Senior member

For polishing, you can always use a lighter colour for shining and protection, that is why people use neutral, so I am never too fussed about the exact colour.

From my understanding, darker polish is mainly used for patina.

4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I have the bordeaux (recommeded by AFPoS) and it matches quite well. Wurger is correct though about using something that's lighter. I go the same route typically using conditioners more often and polish once in a while just to add color again.

5. wurger

wurger Senior member

thanks DpprDr, I was waiting for your input.

6. laufer

laufer Senior member

I think I said this in AFPOS thread I will use just Saphire Dark Brown Pate de Lux as recommended by AS. I am curious to see what happens. For some reason AS felt obliged to recommend this particular polish with this particular color. I do not see AS making recommendations for their other colors. AS must have reason to for this. So I will give it a go and see what happens I suppose I will post the results over time. It would be nice if other who use different polish post their results too so we can compare results.

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Sounds
    sounds like a plan. I'm using Bordeaux.

8. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

It looked to me like it might just be the finishing too. Caked on cream and polish can be fairly thick. But I haven't felt them, as you have. I wonder if they'd let you experiment with them with some cream to see if it is just the finish before you send them back. If it is just the finish, you save the trouble of the return. If it isn't, you both have more peace of mind and the shoes shouldn't be damaged from some cream and elbow grease. If they were mine, I'd try alcohol as a second step, but that'd be more risky.
    Bengalstripe posted something similar, and perhaps more informative a couple years ago. Can't seem to find it now though.

I once asked Chay what the differences were between handgrade and exclusives. One difference was that only one pair of handgrades is made from a skin, whereas two (or three?) exclusives are made from one skin. I listed some other differences here in a discussion w/ DW.

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Richard is great to deal with and good prices.

I've listed my Hannover's FS. Now the 2nd-pair of AS's I've owned and then later sold, which is a bit sad to me as they are great shoes. I'm certain a 3rd pair will be purchased at some point.

[​IMG]

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

Nice boots and beautiful shine.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

may I ask what happened? this is a great make up

12. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

They are awesome. Still mulling over them. Definitely would pick them up if I didn't already have a pair of Islays and Stows.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Likewise, I already have 5-6 boots with some combination of rubber sole or wingtip boot:

Lindrick
    Stow
    Yuketan

And yet I want a redundant pair in the Haanover. This obsession is unique to footwear. If i was considering a redundant suit or jacket I wouldn't spend more than a minute before deciding against it

14. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Thanks. I love Alfred Sargents since they seem to be the perfect balance between clunky-American and sleek-Italian footwear. The grain leather on the Hannovers is superb; the last is wonderful. Commando/Lug-soles are my preference for practicality and traction when riding. Shit, maybe I'm talking myself into keeping them.

They have your size on Gilt still, I believe, on the cheap. Not sure what else touches them for ~$365 shipped.

Alas, I just don't seem to wear them that much; I'm slowing starting to adopt the slovenly, Portland-look, and generally just kick around in my Wolverines or Aldens and jeans. I also have my eye on some power-tools I've been meaning to buy that I'd use the funds towards.

15. Amontilado

Amontilado Active Member

Hi!

I just purchased a pair of AS Moore in Cherry (hope they will live up to the expectations from pictures ;)

Which color would you recommend for shoe care (e.g. Saphir Cream or Wax polish)? Just some medium to dark brown (which will eventually change the color of the leather) or maybe bordeaux/burgundy color?

Cheers!

16. wurger

wurger Senior member

Welcome to the forum and a nice purchase!

However, you really need to read the thread or do a search before asking something like that, it was discussed about 15 posts before, which you can see if you go to the previous page...

17. Amontilado

Amontilado Active Member

True, I really missed that after quit some searching. Even I do miss the wood for all the trees from time to time! Apologies.

18. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Yeah, same boat. It's definitely more a hobby/collection than just utility (I think I crossed that road after pair #5). I do wear dress shoes often so at least I get wear out of them. Won't be putting as much mileage when I move to MI though, and I do like the process of wearing shoes down and getting them resoled.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ yeah not as much walking in the suburban lifestyle. On the other hand however, even the most casual of shoes can look "fancy" In such situations. I'll be spending a month in Ann Arbor beginning middle of July so ill need to decide which 2-3 pairs to bring with me. Thought about bringing the galways in addition to maybe the lindricks but even that seems too dressy for the college town. I lol'ed at the thought of bringing JL William. I have a feeling my Alden's will get a lot of wear

20. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

One of the areas where I've applied for a job is Detroit... not sure how much AS, EG, or JP I'll see... I'm just going to miss you in MI since we're not moving there until Sept!

You go to MI often?