• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you implying Jesper that most of the factory space is therefore underused ? (Pre-pandemic)

No don't really know the details of that, only mean that the new factory didn't become that lift (long term at least) as was the intention, it has been great in some regards but made things difficult on other regards, as I understand it.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know volumes, but Barker sell an awful lot of shoes. Similar price and quality to Loakes and both those brands occupy the same space in the U.K. market as AE does in the US - if you’re not a shoe/clothing guy, they are the shoes you buy if you want a good quality pair.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know volumes, but Barker sell an awful lot of shoes. Similar price and quality to Loakes and both those brands occupy the same space in the U.K. market as AE does in the US - if you’re not a shoe/clothing guy, they are the shoes you buy if you want a good quality pair.

Yeah, and they also produce a lot for other brands.

Eucris

Reaction score
Had two pairs of as shoes saved on watching on ebay and got an offer on a pair- I mistakenly thought they were the pair of armfields I had saved and pulled the trigger without looking properly, on inspection after they weren't the pair I thought but I'm stumped by what they are are, not armfields or moores can anyone shed a light
These are old stock and were made before AS introduced the Exclusive/Handgrade range. Reasonable quality but not in the same league as the Armfields/Moore.

WilYa

Reaction score
I just found out there are still a handful of handgrade models available at a discount at Estate, an upmarket retailer based in China
Screenshot_20210221_182939_com.taobao.taobao_edit_308329669898262.jpg

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Highly interesting update on the Sargent story: The Alfred Sargent saga is not over! In this large interview with Paul Sargent you'll learn why the company ended up in liquidation, what will happen to the Alfred Sargent brand, and most importantly about how Paul will continue to make shoes in the Rushden factory. Read the interview here.

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Highly interesting update on the Sargent story: The Alfred Sargent saga is not over! In a large interview with Paul Sargent you'll learn why the company ended up in liquidation, what will happen to the Alfred Sargent brand, and most importantly about how Paul will continue to make shoes in the Rushden factory. Read the interview here.

Excellent news. I'm glad the family is involved and the manufacture will continue to an extent. As mentioned in the interview, I found AS Exclusive line to be the best bargain (and the best kept secret) in dress shoes. I have 6 pairs of AS, all but one from their partnership from @Afinepairofshoes (the other was Brooks Brothers Peal and Co. line). I hope that distribution partnership with AFPOS can be restored again.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
Highly interesting update on the Sargent story: The Alfred Sargent saga is not over! In this large interview with Paul Sargent you'll learn why the company ended up in liquidation, what will happen to the Alfred Sargent brand, and most importantly about how Paul will continue to make shoes in the Rushden factory. Read the interview here.

Fantastic news! I do hope it goes well for the new reincarnation of AS. Thank you very much Jesper for putting the time and effort to get the interview.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the looks of it we will get 2 brands, Paul Sargent’s one and whatever the new owners of the AS name decide to do with it.
I thought it rather heartwarming that another shoe manufacturer helped Paul get the machinery, even though they have no interest in the company- and are probably in competition.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent news. I'm glad the family is involved and the manufacture will continue to an extent. As mentioned in the interview, I found AS Exclusive line to be the best bargain (and the best kept secret) in dress shoes. I have 6 pairs of AS, all but one from their partnership from @Afinepairofshoes (the other was Brooks Brothers Peal and Co. line). I hope that distribution partnership with AFPOS can be restored again.

Yeah, seems like the wish is to get both retailers and an own online shop up and running and make the shoes as accessible as possible.

Fantastic news! I do hope it goes well for the new reincarnation of AS. Thank you very much Jesper for putting the time and effort to get the interview.

Great news indeed. Thanks a lot!

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that AS will not "disappear", but it'd be less attractive to me if branded with a different name.

Curious to see who took over the liquidation stock and how much they price at. Assume it would be only the mainline products and exclusive line products?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics