• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtip ? Is that cockamamie club/mens shop still open?

clintonf

Reaction score
In Memoriam

IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1135.jpg
IMG_1098.jpg
IMG_1132.jpg
IMG_1101.jpg
IMG_1090.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg
IMG_1060.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg

I've left the boots out, but they were not the Handgrade/Exclusive Range.

Nicely made shoes in my opinion. Shame to see them go (if they really have gone).

Clint

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@clintonf all nice shoes, but the black/white spectators make me drool.
Any chance to get some live (i.e., while worn) pics?

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful boots! Where they MTO or did AS make all those varieties as RTW?

I've been considered a balmoral boot (only have the more common derby type boots). How does it feel compared to a derby boot? Is the fitting more snug and did you have to size up? Regarding your specific boots, how do you keep the suede from being stained when polishing the leather?

The full leather one is from the handgrade line. The bi-material ones were made for Herring shoes some years ago. I usually don't need to size up going from a derby boot to a balmoral boot.

The lighter suede one was difficult to polish and keep clean so have had them darkened by my cobbler last year.

clintonf

Reaction score
@clintonf all nice shoes, but the black/white spectators make me drool.
Any chance to get some live (i.e., while worn) pics?

The pictures I take are terrible. I've never actually worn the Spectators (which are, in fact, green and white). I just have never found the occasion and my wife hates spectators.

I know, I know...

As for live shots, all I can send you is what I now spend 90% of my time in (for basically, the last year).

IMG_1232.JPG

Last edited:

Groover

Reaction score
How on earth Barker or Grenson are well while Alfred Sargent is almost dead? Such a shame. Something wrong with this world....

Barker have laid staff off and along with the other companies are struggling. Don't forget they only produce a small percentage locally, the majority of their uppers are cut & closed overseas and then shipped to the UK.

Grenson. Tim Little maintains a small factory/distribution center in the UK. Only G-One and specials with specific brands are made in the UK. Everything else is made in India. I was quoted a couple of years ago, 1 pair from india was c£15 cost, they then sell them for c£180 and they were selling a LOT of them.

Sargents is in the position it is because of money. All the staff are UK based, they have a largish site to maintain, they have to purchase the raw materials and so on. It requires very very deep pockets. These issues go back years, prior to the previous "going into administration". Sargents biggest customer was Bowen, hence why they reached out to them to take over last time.

The saddest part in all this is that people have lost their jobs, at a time when the industry is struggling and those people are now facing very difficult times.

Tom Kyle

Reaction score
The saddest part in all this is that people have lost their jobs, at a time when the industry is struggling and those people are now facing very difficult times.
Indeed, that is the saddest part: the skilled craftsmen who have probably lost their livelihood. I hope that Bowen or Herring Shoes would hire at least some of them. If I am not mistaken, the Herring Premier range was partially on AS lasts, and produced by Alfred Sargent staff. In addition, I think the Wildsmith-labelled shoes were also produced by Alfred Sargent. Maybe Herring can ramp up this line now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads