1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitedDx, Jun 11, 2012.

1. WilYa

WilYa Senior Member

:cheers:your pair is inspiring as I am still on the fence of buying AS exclusive Miller boots. The Bowen store in London still has some old stocks from which I can see the level of finish is even higher than current exclusives. I mistook them as Handgrade before the store manager told me they are old stocks.

2. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

My guess is they were a sample specifically for AFPOS as they used to sell AS shoes rebranded as their own. @Afinepairofshoes might shed some light on this. They were similar to exclusive models except for the soles which were not oak bark tanned and channeled. I think the uppers were identical to exclusive range shoes. Similar to Herring made by AS and JCrew made by AS.
    Isn't the Miller a handgrade model? I had one pair (sold a few years ago) which definitely was hand grade (stamped as such on the sock liner). If you can find old stock for a reasonable price I would say that is a instabuy.

Old picture from 2015, Miller on the far left:

[​IMG]

3. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

And for archival purposes, an old grail boot I sold some years ago because they were a tad too big in hindsight. Alfred Sargent shell cordovan balmoral boots:

PB284455.JPG PB284456.JPG PB284457.JPG PB284459.JPG PB284460.JPG PB284461.JPG PB284463.JPG

4. WilYa

WilYa Senior Member

Much appreciated! I am 90% sure the pairs currently inBowen store are exclusives “Miller II” model on 109 last.

5. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior Member

Kicking myself for missing the last Hannover in 8F at AFPOS

hopefully some similar version will be produced in the future under the AS brand or OEM

6. flylikeneagle

flylikeneagle Senior Member

Did AS ever make dress boots for J Crew? I have a pair, but mine are more country boots than city/dress. These are on 3050 last and have more volume than even 7WK last 20180927_083016.jpg

7. circumspice

circumspice Senior Member

8. Kiwijohn

Kiwijohn Well-Known Member

Love the colour. Does ALFRED SARGENT make a shoe version of these?.

9. Elderidge

Elderidge Well-Known Member

Whats going to happen to AS now that they've discontinued their Country and Exclusive line? Are they only going to be making for their french owners now?

10. brotherender

brotherender Active Member

I guess not. I'm pretty sure AFPOS asserted they'd keep on producing their shoes for other retailers as well.

11. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

I heard they also make for George Cleverly, so maybe they continue that relationship.

12. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

Are AS shoes generally size down 0.5 from US sizing?

13. gmehra

gmehra Senior Member

no they are one full size down. I wear 10 US and 9 UK in Alfred Sargent

14. RonnyK

RonnyK New Member

It is more like a full size, I have US 9 on all my american shoes and UK 8 on all european

15. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

20190129_130852.jpg Moore in 'expresso brown' ... I could walk all day long in them!
    Would you say that they were seconds (at half price) because of a little blemish in the toe cap burnishing??