• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
Have one pair of Alfred Sargent. They are less than six months old and I’ve worn them to work three times. They make a loud plasticky clicking sound which feels like something from a shank, as though it was through stress of sole flexing whilst walking. Anybody familiar with this? Can it be remedied?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have one pair of Alfred Sargent. They are less than six months old and I’ve worn them to work three times. They make a loud plasticky clicking sound which feels like something from a shank, as though it was through stress of sole flexing whilst walking. Anybody familiar with this? Can it be remedied?

Not sure about that one, better take them to your cobbler

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have never had this issue either... maybe sole flexing when you're walking as it's being broken in?

ShooIn

Reaction score
In anticipation of the AFPOS Burgundy Moore GMTO arriving tomorrow, I brought out my Cherry version today. May have gone a bit too loud with the corgi tartan socks, but love these all the same
IMG_0815.jpg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In anticipation of the AFPOS Burgundy Moore GMTO arriving tomorrow, I brought out my Cherry version today. May have gone a bit too loud with the corgi tartan socks, but love these all the same View attachment 1041089

Looks like you nailed the combination to me. Gonna have to pick up a pair of those socks myself!

ShooIn

Reaction score
Looks like you nailed the combination to me. Gonna have to pick up a pair of those socks myself!
Thanks. I love Corgi as a company. They make great products, including fantastic cardigans for Savill Row. The factory is also just 30 miles from where I live. Probably best for my wallet that I'm nowhere near Northampton!

Kochegar

Reaction score
Guys, what do you think about Cambridge vs Coniston. Is CJ worth 30% higher price?

UNOAIMX

Reaction score
you are on the AS appreciation thread so AS Cambridge all the way man.
But from personal experience, if you are thinking of re-selling the pair of boots down the road, I would choose Conniston, the C&J name has more re-sale value than Alfred Sargent. But to me conniston and Cambridge would be the "go-to workhorse" pair in my rotation.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, what do you think about Cambridge vs Coniston. Is CJ worth 30% higher price?

I own both. The AS in Navy Pebble grain and the C&J in Tan Pebble grain. Just a personal thing, and that is what’s most important, for my foot the C&J last feels better. I feel the C&J also looks better. In terms of quality difference, I don’t see one. So if price is a consideration and they suit ones foot, go for the AS. I personally say own both though :-D

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I love AS shoes, but for boots (and other casual styles) CJ definitely has the edge. I've considered the Cambridge on many occasions, but the last is just too square. Coniston is a better looking product IMO, whether it's worth the upcharge is up to you.

When it comes to oxfords, though, I'm AS all the way.

greenhouse

Reaction score
Noice. I wonder if it's the angle, because the instep on the burgundy looks higher than the oak even though they are the same model.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads