ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitedDx, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

UK9 in AS. I was tempted by the black Lombards, but I already have some C&J Conistons in black (the BBBF version) and I honestly don't wear them a lot, so it's not like I "need" another black boot ...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

What's your verdict on the quality of these in comparison to C&J (if you have any)?
    I want the Ramsey DM but also have my eye on either the C&J Lowndes or the HG Seymour - just looking for opinions as I don't yet own any AS but do have C&J

3. calidist

calidist Senior member

Yeah, I had those same boots in brown. The 325 last, or whatever C&J last they're on, didn't fit me well. The Lombard is a nice boot, but I don't think it is an versatile and attractive as the Hannover. Add the 9UK to your Gilt account wish list if you haven't already done so--wish list items often pop up.

4. Concub1ne

Concub1ne Senior member

I have the ramseys and would recommend them to anyone. I recently visited the C&J store, and to my eyes they beat the benchgrades with more attractive lasts and designs. I've never owned a pair though, so take that fwiw. I never handled the handgrades either, so I have no basis for comparison there.

5. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

I have C&J's. AS Exclusives are clearly above C&J Benchgrade. Roughly on par with C&J Handgrade IMO.
    Better in sole/waist treatment, on par on lasts (yeah, very subjective) and attention to details, maybe sligthly behind on quality of upper leather. C&J Handgrade has a certain "lustre" that I rarely see in other shoes. At the same price point I would probably slightly favour C&J Handgrades. Considering the actual prices I am certainly in favour of AS E.

6. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

Looks like a pair of Ramseys in Brown oak are coming my way :)

Thanks for the opinions, very helpful.

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

You'll really like them. Definitely much better than the Lowndes and a split between the Seymours with for me, the decision would just be wether I would like a cap or not.

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Anyone had experience with this shoe? The AS Stepney in rustic grain with rubber Dianite soles. It seems like an ideal shoe for fall/winter to wear with cords, denim, etc.
    http://khakisofcarmel.com/shop/shoes/alfred-sargent-stepney-in-rustic-grain-301.html (This price also includes lasted trees)

C&J makes a similar model called a Pembroke Derby. How would you compare the two as far as fit, feel, quality and the enjoyment of wearing them?
    http://www.bensilver.com/The-Pembroke-Derby,23287.html#.UX2sl-B18g8 (Shoe trees are extra)

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

In general I find AS' line to be pretty good; typically closer to C&J HG than BG. I don't have the Stepney but have other shoes/boots. I also have the Pembroke and I would say it depends if you want a short wing or LWB. The color of the Pembroke is also a lighter tan. I wear generally the same size on both brands.

I think you can't go wrong with either shoe.

10. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

I have this shoe. Very nice country brogue. Last 87 is fairly roomy, I sized down 0.5 vs other AS i have on 109 and 99 lasts.

11. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Has anyone seen both the AS cherry color and the GG Cherry color? How do they compare?

12. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Swede66,

I'm in the opposite boat when it comes to sizing. I had ordered a pair of Hannover boots on the 87 last in a 9.5UK and found it to be quite tight in the toe area for a boot. I had to size up to a 10UK.

Also, I have just exchanged a pair of Ramsey size 10 for a 9.5, because I found the 10 ridiculously big on me.

Anybody else had this experience? I have a pair of Alex boots on the way in the 104 last in a 9.5 so I'm hoping they fit bang on.

13. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

Feet are different :). It is clear that it is difficult to use other peoples sizing advice.
    For me, 99 is the most narrow, followed by 109 and with 87 as the roomiest one.

14. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

What is your US size? I'm usually a very comfortable 10.5D.

15. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

8.5D in Alden Barrie and Plaza if you asked me :)