• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can one still find their handgrade shoes anywhere? or is their "exclusive" their new designation for the handgrade line

Since the reboot, the Exclusive line has always been their standard RTW styles. They have a lower line that they make under private labels without the Exclusive sole, and perhaps other internal quality reductions.

I haven't seen the hand grades as RTW styles anywhere since Leffot stopped stocking them. I believe they are now just MTO. I imagine you can order them through any AS retailer, but I don't' know.

Northampton21

Reaction score

Finally got around to polishing these beauties. The new Radwells in dark oak/espresso. Love the way the leather has taken to the sharpness of this last...

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why AS stopped their handgrade line?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know why AS stopped their handgrade line?
Personally I'm not sure. AS seems to have shifted their model to being re-branded instead of selling independently. They make shoes now for J. Crew, Paul Stuart, Wildsmith, Bowen, and I think they even have started to make Brooks Brothers again (although I'm not certain about the last one). They started a big push with their Exclusive and HG when Chay was with them but I noticed a sharp drop in that approach after he went off to Wildsmith (and now I think he's at C&J). My guess is he was an integral part of that approach and without him, AS might be satisfied with making sure for 3rd parties. Just my thought and opinion though and others will likely have more valid information. I decided to get back to AS for a couple of shoes thanks to @Afinepairofshoes
21815537834_fe8995fcfa_z.jpg
22250293450_4c78de970e_z.jpg
22412258776_570a88a3a5_z.jpg

Dembowski

Reaction score
Thank you pictures.

I have real dilemma what to buy:

Holmes II or Radwell - both in Oak

Northampton21

Reaction score

Thank you pictures.

Both great boots Dembowski. I've noticed that the oak leather on the new Radwells make it a completely different boot in terms of look and feel in comparison to the former hatch grain version.

The Holmes II on the other hand is totally unique. Maybe it depends what you will wear more? I find the 109 last is brilliant.

I have  real dilemma what to buy:

Holmes II or Radwell - both in Oak

Dembowski

Reaction score
Thank you Northampton 21 - thank you for your replay. I have noticed on pictures you have posted, that Radwell in Oak looks sharper !!!

Is it correct that Oak color in case of Holmes II and Radwell is slightly different?

P.S. You have great collections of AS. I love this shoe maker. Are you abel to compare to C&J? Any opinions?

Northampton21

Reaction score

Thank you Northampton 21 - thank you for your replay. I have noticed on pictures you have posted, that Radwell in Oak looks sharper !!!

Is it correct that Oak color in case of Holmes II and Radwell is slightly different?

P.S. You have great collections of AS. I love this shoe maker. Are you abel to compare to C&J? Any opinions?

You're welcome Dembowski. I'm quite sure that the type of oak leather used in the Holmes II and Radwell are actually the same however leather can differ from batch to batch even if from the same tannery. I have used a combination of different polishes though on both shoes this could also matter. Generally the Radwells would be a bit darker.

Thanks yes I must admit I love Alfred Sargent so every time there is an opportunity I'll choose AS. From speaking to people who have knowledge of the shoe industry we believe AS and C&J are pretty much in the same league. Personally I think AS lasts are great hence no urge to try C&J. People on styleforum compare AS exclusive to C&Js handgrade. When AS we're making their handgrade... They really were special.
It comes down to personal preference in the end.

If I had to try another brand it would be Gaziano and Girling or St Crispin. ..but they're about double the price compared to AS exclusive. ..

Dembowski

Reaction score
I like AS too. Currently I own quite many styles from AS in my collection, but always interested in something new. G&G, ST Cr or even EG are a little bit too expensive, so I am not planing to buy - maybe if I am lucky and get special deal - 50 - 75% from RRP. :)

Regarding AS and 109 last, I like it too ( currently I have Charles II and Morriarty) and this is one of the reasons why I am considering Holmes II.

Propably I will go for Holmes II and Yanko balmorals in navy (just leather or leather + suede), especially that I can get them for less then 50% of AS RRP. Quality wise - very good shoes.

EDIT: It is funny - every day different decision. Now I am more convinced to buy Radwell and Holmes II. I fully agree that Radwell in Oak looks amazing!

Last edited:

Dembowski

Reaction score
Finally decide to go for Radwell in Oak - this color is amazing and Radwell fits me well. And second pair is in Chestnut - I do not have any shoes in this color, so it has to be the first one.
Of course both pairs bought as a seconds

Northampton21

Reaction score
Great choice Dembowski. You will certainly enjoy wearing them and leather on Radwells are amazing.

Moore in chestnut looking excellent!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics