• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Peet RIP

hchamp

Reaction score
If you've ever lived in the Bay Area, you'll appreciate this. If you haven't, but have had a cup of gourmet coffee, then you owe your caffeinated experience to this man.

Coffee pioneer Alfred Peet dies

George Raine, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Alfred Peet, a pioneer in specialty coffee who shared the stage with the Bay Area culinary stars the shaped the region's food-centric reputation, died Wednesday at his home in Ashland, Ore. He was 87.

The company he founded, Peet's Coffee & Tea Inc., has more than 150 establishments, all but 22 in California, but the first opened at Walnut and Vine streets in Berkeley in 1966, taking its place in what would become the Gourmet Ghetto.

With his emphasis on specialty coffees and unique brewing techniques, Peet, the son of a Dutch roaster, put specialty coffee on the map - and in the process influenced the founders of Starbucks.

"Up until the time he started, in 1966, basic American coffee was swill," said Jim Reynolds, roastmaster emeritus at Peet's. "His father had been a small coffee roaster in Holland before World War II, he was aware of good quality coffee, but nobody in the States was buying it," Reynolds said. "He realized Berkeley was a place where good food and good quality coffee would work."

It was the time that Chez Panisse and other fine food establishments opened and Peet introduced quality coffee that helped change the coffee-buying habits of many people.

"I like to think that he taught America how to drink dark-roasted coffee," said Narsai David, the food and wine editor of KCBS in San Francisco, who, when he opened his Narsai's Restaurant on Colusa Circle in 1972, was Peet's first commercial account.

David said Peet was not crystal clear on the commercial account concept - he preferred the retail business, in which people gave him cash for coffee, and there were times Peet was on the phone asking for payment before his statement had arrived at David's office - but the restaurateur let it pass. "He was really rigid, but his coffee was so good we did not mind," said David.

After the Walnut and Vine shop, there came a store in Menlo Park (1971), another on Piedmont Avenue in Oakland (1978) and a second in Berkeley across the street from the Claremont Hotel (1980).

In 1971, the first Starbucks store opened in Seattle's Pike Place Market, with coffee roasted by Peet's. The company's co-founders, Jerry Baldwin and Gordon Bowker, learned about roasting from Peet.

Peet sold his business in 1979 but stayed on as a coffee buyer until 1983. In 1984, Starbucks co-owner Baldwin and Reynolds, the roastmaster, with a group of investors bought Peet's four Bay Area locations. In 1987, Baldwin and Peet's owners sold the Starbucks chain to focus on Peet's, and Baldwin and Howard Schultz, Starbucks' new owner, entered into a no-compete agreement in the Bay Area. In 2001, Peet's became a public company.

Alfred Peet was born in Alkmaar, Holland, on March 10, 1920. He helped his father by cleaning his coffee-roasting machinery and doing other odd jobs. When Germany invaded the Netherlands, he was pressed into working for the Third Reich in Frankfurt. When the war ended, Peet joined Lipton, the tea company, and for a time worked in the tea business in the then-Dutch colony of Indonesia.

He immigrated to San Francisco in 1955 and took a job with coffee importer E.A. Johnson & Co. He favored high-altitude coffee from Costa Rica, Guatemala and East Africa that his father used to buy, and although there was no market for it in the area, he decided to create one.

"He went to a great deal of trouble to find only the best beans," said David. "He knew his business like nobody I ever met."

Importantly, David added, Peet introduced customers to coffee they didn't know existed.

"We would drink it and it put us in a new realm. It had complexity and richness - that's the best way to describe it," said David.

Along the way, Peet influenced younger roasters like James Freeman, owner of Blue Bottle Coffee in Oakland. "He really opened the door for the specialty-coffee industry," said Freeman, who said Peet made a radical departure from the roasting style of the day, with smaller batches, darker roasts and higher-quality coffee.

"He really showed that people in America are willing to spend a little bit more money to get a little bit better when it comes to coffee," said Freeman.

Peet is survived by a daughter and two grandchildren, but Reynolds, speaking for the family, said they are private people and did not want to be identified. Reynolds said he and others will plan a memorial service.

E-mail George Raine at [email protected].

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm pouring a little bit of my coffee out on the street for my dead homey tomorrow morning.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm pouring a little bit of my coffee out on the street for my dead homey tomorrow morning.
Alfred Peet had a Posse?

RIP. I enjoyed the original Peet's greatly. That and a slice of Cheese Board pizza... mmmm...

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a Peets in Berkeley with a native friend (well a resident at least) and I believe it was the original. Good coffee.

I have to say, I've never been to Seattle, but the Bay Area (or at least the PRB and San Francisco) seems to have very high quality coffee generally.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seriously, Peet's has always been my favorite - the place I'll go first if it's available. I've been to the original location several times, mostly with the friend who introduced me to Peet's (and who remains the biggest food/beer/coffee snob I've ever known.)

hchamp

Reaction score
I used to walk by the original on Vine on my way to school and it was a regular pit-stop. Very good coffee.

pinchi22

Reaction score
RIP. I never go the the Bay Area without buying a pound of his Major Dickasons. I think Peets, Chez Panisse and the Cheese Board is the best culinary triangle in the U.S.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads