• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Dunhill Classic Vs JLC Grande Ultra Thin

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The JLC is a better watch, but the Dunhill is more attractive to me. When I was looking for a similar style watch, I decided on a Glashutte.

emakris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
The JLC is a better watch [...]
Could you please qualify how the JLC is the better watch, given that the aforementioned JLC and Dunhill are the same watch (with the exception of the date complication which JLC added to the Dunhill version of the caliber 896)?

flanker2000fr

Reaction score
The JLC any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The Dunhill is nice, but they are not a true watch maker and at that price I would want some pedigree coming with the watch.

Side comment on Dunhill: given their (very) wide offering, is it just me thinking they have become a Jack of all trades - master at none in the luxury business?

The only thing I really find attractive in their line is their lighters and cufflinks

emakris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intfxdx
I don't know exact qualification of these watches but the important thing is construction quality (e.g. Breguet, Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe etc.), and i am sure JLC is better than Dunhill because JLC is a true watchmaker.
This is particularly interesting. Especially if one takes into account that the current line of Dunhill watches are made by JLC and all the watches pictured in the original post are, essentially, the same watch. I would also like to ask you about the aforementioned "construction quality" but I feel there is enough food for thought for one day.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine there's any difference in workmanship between the two. If anything, the Dunhill has the better movement no? I suppose there would be a different in resale value should you wish to trade it in further down the line.

Looks-wise I prefer the Dunhill (esp the rose gold version).

lacellrein

Reaction score
dunhill looks better since they're the same watch. i liked the old MUT though with the 3, 6, 9, 12 markers.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flanker2000fr

The Dunhill is nice, but they are not a true watch maker and at that price I would want some pedigree coming with the watch.

Side comment on Dunhill: given their (very) wide offering, is it just me thinking they have become a Jack of all trades - master at none in the luxury business?

The only thing I really find attractive in their line is their lighters and cufflinks

I have a nice tie bar from them.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flanker2000fr

The leather goods from the "Tradition" line are outstanding. The standard leather pieces are "so-so". Suits made by Zegna - nothing to complain about there.

Cufflinks and lighters are great. I also like their ltd runs of things like mammoth tusk cufflinks
wink.gif

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunhill for me. But second hand watches are much better value.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both owned by the same co..

No ****..

Just saying..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads