1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alfani Suit, Black - $152 - Do I Bite?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Hobbs13, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Hobbs13

Hobbs13 Member

Hello all.... I will be starting a new job that requires a suit. I do not have the cash to get a few $500 suits at the start so I am looking to fill in with decent quality volume in the beginning and then upgrade 1-2 good suits a year as the sales come. There was some talk about the Alfani Red line on these forums. I actually tried them on and they looked good... Waiting for a sale now...

In the meantime, Macy's is having a two day sale on an normal Alfani Suit for $152.
    This seems very reasonable for a wool suit and I was wondering if anyone had some feedback on these.

LINK TO SUIT HERE

What makes it STRETCH?

5'10 - 190 (42R)
    6" drop probably means I need to have the waist taken in a bit as my normal size is 36" (Depending on cut)

2. msulinski

msulinski Distinguished Member

I would avoid getting this since it is black. Though the site doesn't say, I suspect there is spandex or Lycra for the stretch. The description indicates wool, but not 100% wool. I'm not clear on why anyone would want a stretchy suit.

FYI a 42R 6" drop is 36" so I'm not sure why you need the waist taken in.

3. Hobbs13

Hobbs13 Member

My bad on the drop. .. wool +spandex what for movement?

4. msulinski

If the suit fits well, you really shouldn't need spandex for movement. Either way, I would avoid, as black really isn't a great color for the office.

5. Hobbs13

Hobbs13 Member

Comes in navy and charcoal as well.. might stop by and look. They close to me

6. msulinski

Navy and charcoal are the first 2 suit colors you should be getting, so that's good. I still think it is a low-quality suit, but I don't think you are going to find anything better at your price point without buying used.

7. Magnanimist

Magnanimist Active Member

Negative. Black is a non-starter for a work suit.

Go with solid navy blue or mid/dark grey. These have been the standard colors for work suits for decades.

And Alfani? Take a pass. At the very least wait for a sale at a major Department store and buy something of better quality.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013