1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alfa Romeo - Grand Prix and Sports Cars

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Full Canvas, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

From my image archives:

Some Early Grand Prix Cars

Mid-1920s Team Photo - On the Boards at Brooklands
    [​IMG]
    1937 Monaco GP, 8C-35, Carlos Maria Pincatuda, 9th Place
    [​IMG]
    1950 British GP Silverstone, Pre-Race, Tipo 158, #1 Fangio, #2 Fagioli, #3 Farina (number not visible), #4 Parnell (barely visible behind Fangio's car)
    [​IMG]
    1951 Juan Manuel Fangio in Tipo 159, Publicity Photo at Alfa Romeo Factory
    [​IMG]
    1951 French GP at Reims, Juan Manuel Fangio, Tipo 159, 1st Place
    [​IMG]

---

The Tipo 33 Sports Racer

1967 - The first T-33 under construction in the Autodelta (factory racing division) shop
    [​IMG]
    1969 - Sicilian Nino Vaccarella (pictured), Andrea de Adamich at the Targa Florio
    [​IMG]
    1971 - Andrea de Adamich (pictured), Henri Pescarolo, BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch
    [​IMG]
    1971 - Toine Hezemans (pictured), Rolf Stommelen, BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch
    [​IMG]
    1972 - Nurburgring, Rolf Stommelen Airborne at Flugplatz
    [​IMG]

___

2. bkk

bkk Senior member

From my image archives:

1972 - Nurburgring, Rolf Stommelen Airborne at Flugplatz
    [​IMG]

___

I still can't believe people raced on the 'Ring without the armco. I had several "oh shit!" moments when driving it in the rain, but I would have much rather hit armco than a tree.

3. Full Canvas

I still can't believe people raced on the 'Ring without the armco. I had several "oh shit!" moments when driving it in the rain, but I would have much rather hit armco than a tree.

Before your forum registration date, I did a little thread on Flying Cars at the Nurburgring. Perhaps it would interest you.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=37198

___

4. bkk

bkk Senior member

Before your forum registration date, I did a little thread on Flying Cars at the Nurburgring. Perhaps it would interest you.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=37198

___

Thanks!

5. Full Canvas

6. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Wow! You've actually driven there? Tell us about it!

7. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Full Canvas; these are great!

Please keep them coming. Please?

8. SWiFt08

SWiFt08 Member

9. bkk

bkk Senior member

Wow! You've actually driven there? Tell us about it!

In short: heaven. I'm sure everyone has heard it before, but if you're a gearhead, you must make the pilgrimage to The Nurburgring at least once in your life.

Other than that, what do you want to know? I have an overload of bookmarked websites, files, pictures, and notes from my research and my time at the 'Ring.

Final quick thought: Even though my lap times were in the 10-12 minute range, it seems much shorter, and it takes a lot more out of you physically than you expect.

10. zeni

zeni Well-Known Member

Nurburgring is open for anyone to drive right? I'm not too familiar with it but I work at a private track and people talk about it quite a bit. I take it from all those awesome mid-air pics that there are a lot of elevation changes eh?

11. Full Canvas

Nurburgring is open for anyone to drive right? I'm not too familiar with it but I work at a private track and people talk about it quite a bit. I take it from all those awesome mid-air pics that there are a lot of elevation changes eh?

Depending upon the configuration of the track and the time period in history, course length has ranged from approximately three miles to fourteen miles. Total elevation change on the long course exceeds nine hundred feet.

It is open to the public. I couldn't say what the current cost per lap happens to be. The last time I drove the course, I paid four Deutsche Marks per lap. There was no such thing as a currency called the Euro at that time!

___

12. zeni

zeni Well-Known Member

Wow fourteen miles? I bet it was pretty treacherous back in the day. Hope you have some more Alfa pics for us [​IMG]

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

It's still treachorous.

14. bkk

bkk Senior member

Its considered a public toll road. For a low number of laps, it comes out to roughly $25/lap. I believe the prices are broken down on the Ring website. If not, there are lots of fan sites with that information.

As for elevation changes, not only is there a huge delta over the course, but there are also quick changes throughout. If you're going fast enough, you have to understand how to (and where to) hit the brakes quickly. If not, you're going to lose balance on the car and skid off the road.

And yes, it is still treacherous. Several crashes a day and estimated dozens of deaths a year. I spent months of driving simulators just to learn the curves, and I still wasn't properly prepared.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Look it up on youtube you will find plenty of old and new videos of the course. A great one is of JAckie Stewary in the 70s in an F1 car, with him narrating. Great stuff. Even today, I wouldn't ride that track in a motorcycle.

16. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

Went to the Rolex Vintage Festival like I do every year. This year I took my girlfriends neices. It's good to be a kid. They get to sit in all the cars.

I believe this one was a alfa romeo.

[​IMG]

Here is a over weight me with my future car. Jag Dtype.

[​IMG]

Brother came over later that day with his MR2 he just put a GTS motor in. [​IMG] Drives like a lotus elsie so it's still slow as hell.

[​IMG]