• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alex's Tailors in NYC

gregl6981

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Alex's Tailors on John St. in Manhattan. The salesman at C21 (where I picked up a sb/3b navy Barbera for $400 and a G&H for $270 yesterday) referred me to them. I don't need anything major done, just some pants hemming, waist taking in, jacket taking in, and sleeve shortening. Am I better off going to one of the places further uptown that you guys recommend in order to make sure it gets done right?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know about Alex's, but my recommendation is to take those suits back to C21 -- you could have bought one full canvas Isaia for the price of those the two suits you got. The Barbera you bought is a diffusion line and at $400 is RADICALLY overpriced. The Gieves and Hawkes is a decent suit, but still only half canvas. The Isaia's at C21 were only $670 this weekend.

brit

Reaction score
Johnnynorman3,

I've been referred to you by arkirshner on the askandy forum regarding a question I have about Isaia suits. I have seen one at NM for $1400 on sale (50% off and unfortuntately I live in LA and not NYC - I would have gone to C21 otherwise) that is an 'Aqua spider' line.

Any info about this material, that I believe is supplied to them exclusively? And your advice regarding 2 vs. 3 buttons, would really be appreciated.

brit

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I've never felt a Spider fabric personally, so I can't help you there. I'm a huge fan of Isaia, and their Stewart model is great. I'm a believer that a 2 button with the right stance adds the illusion of height. Others might disagree, but I think that seeing more shirt and tie elongates the torso. So I choose 2 buttons. But the 3 roll 2 of the Stewart isn't much different than a 2 button.

An Isaia at $1400 is pretty steep still, at least for me. I'd rather get a MTM Brooks Bros. suit when Martin Greenfield is in town. That's just me though.

brit

Reaction score
Many thanks johnnynorman - I'll go for the 2 button.

Unfortunately, I wont have time for a MTM suit from BB (I need it for my wedding in 8 weeks which is cutting it very fine) and will have to swallow the $1400 steep price tag.

Many thanks once again and will let you know about the fabric.

Brit

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if it's your wedding suit by all means spend the money. That is one purchase where money should be a minor consideration at best. Congratulations, and good luck. Make sure to get a good tailor.

brit

Reaction score
Thanks you for your kind words. - it makes me feel a little better about 'splashing the cash'

Regarding the tailor (I will have some alterations done to the suit) - I have no clue where to go in Orange County - There is a master tailor at Neiman Marcus where I'm buying the suit but have no clue what to look for. Any tips or names?

Kind Regards,

Brit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads