• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander McQueen suits

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Info/feedback about McQueen suits please...

Crooow

Reaction score
They almost always come with sleeves; usually just two for the American market.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crooow
They almost always come with sleeves; usually just two for the American market.

Lol; okay, this cracked me up.

Anyway, I like McQueen suits, especially the more recent ones made after he was bought by Gucci. I wonder if his are made by Zegna, like a lot of the other gucci group brands? I don't know.

They are expensive and fashion-forward, but often have a great silhouette, fit, and often interesting fabrics. Probably not something you'd want to wear to an accounting firm, but a great suit to wear out.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rach2jlc... thanks for the info, you always help me...

I actually need a fashion forward suit for a change... how would you compare McQ suits to Costume National suits in terms of quality? There are two suits I saw today, both of which I like, so trying to make a decision.

JTA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
rach2jlc... thanks for the info, you always help me...

I actually need a fashion forward suit for a change... how would you compare McQ suits to Costume National suits in terms of quality? There are two suits I saw today, both of which I like, so trying to make a decision.

From what I know when I checked the suits, Alexander McQueen are half canvassed (don't know the maker) while for Costume National depends on the line (some are canvassed and some are fused).
Both are interesting fashion forward suits.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Agreed; personally I'd take McQueen over CN, but for some body types, CN looks stellar. On others, it looks kinda odd.

McQueen is typically flattering, if you have the body for it. Good luck!

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey sorry to bring this thread back from the dead...but wanted to see what you guys thought about Mcqueen suits. I just bought this one off Mr. Porter for about $650, which seemed like a good deal. Wanted to get a sense of the construction and how they generally fit/look in person. Also are they fully canvassed typically?

Thanks!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey sorry to bring this thread back from the dead...but wanted to see what you guys thought about Mcqueen suits.  I just bought this one off Mr. Porter for about $650, which seemed like a good deal.  Wanted to get  a sense of the construction and how they generally fit/look in person.  Also are they fully canvassed typically?
Thanks!

Simplest solution = wait for suit to come, when it arrives test yourself if it is canvassed and inspect construction specifics :tounge:

It is impossible to tell with fashion brands. Some stuff is high end, some stuff mid to lower range. At $650, I would guestimate you bought a mid to lower range suit. I would be suprised if it were canvassed. I believe some of the more expensive Mcqueen models are fully canvassed made by Zegna, cheaper ones likely fused.

Same hypothesis is true for most brands - cheaper stuff = cheaper build, more expensive = better more luxurious build. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually im really curious about Mcqueen stuff as well. He is technically a former Anderson guy so theoretically his stuff should be top notch.

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
McQueen suits have character, quiet pricey true, you will, most likely, wear them for special events and not for eeryday suits for work.

aanix

Reaction score
Probably paying more for the name than anything else. Pretty sure you can find better quality suits from lesser known designers at a better price.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From what I know when I checked the suits, Alexander McQueen are half canvassed (don't know the maker) while for Costume National depends on the line (some are canvassed and some are fused).
Both are interesting fashion forward suits.

If I am understanding this correctly, you are making an unfair comparison.

Alexander McQueen (mainline) should not be compared to anything but Costume National (mainline). Both charge premium prices, both hold runway shows during fashion week, and both compete in the same arena of quality, expense and celebrity.

Costume National's "other lines," which is to say C'N'C Costume National (because CN Active is running shoes and sports/loungewear, certainly no suits or jackets), offer cheaper and lower-quality items roughly on par to McQueen's own diffusion line, the similarly named McQ Alexander McQueen.

However, while C'N'C does make suits, I've never seen any from McQ, just a sport jacket here and there.

Last edited:

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simplest solution = wait for suit to come, when it arrives test yourself if it is canvassed and inspect construction specifics
tounge.gif

It is impossible to tell with fashion brands. Some stuff is high end, some stuff mid to lower range. At $650, I would guestimate you bought a mid to lower range suit. I would be suprised if it were canvassed. I believe some of the more expensive Mcqueen models are fully canvassed made by Zegna, cheaper ones likely fused.
Same hypothesis is true for most brands - cheaper stuff = cheaper build, more expensive = better more luxurious build. You get what you pay for.

Just to clarify, the suit I bought was originally $3,000. I'm assuming that is overpriced at retail like many high fashion brands, but hopefully that would indicate this is a well constructed suit.

https://www.mrporter.com/product/303061

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I am understanding this correctly, you are making an unfair comparison.
Alexander McQueen (mainline) should not be compared to anything but Costume National (mainline). Both charge premium prices, both hold runway shows during fashion week, and both compete in the same arena of quality, expense and celebrity.
Costume National's "other lines," which is to say C'N'C Costume National (because CN Active is running shoes and sports/loungewear, certainly no suits or jackets), offer cheaper and lower-quality items roughly on par to McQueen's own diffusion line, the similarly named McQ Alexander McQueen.
However, while C'N'C does make suits, I've never seen any from McQ, just a sport jacket here and there.

Why is McQueen compared to Costume National in particular?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just to clarify, the suit I bought was originally $3,000.  I'm assuming that is overpriced at retail like many high fashion brands, but hopefully that would indicate this is a well constructed suit. 
https://www.mrporter.com/product/303061

Then it is fully canvassed, and I think you scored very well here. Lucky you, it is a beautiful suit with a very interesting cut.
I want it also but sold out :(

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling