• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander McQueen selvedge jeans

nobopyon

Reaction score
I have two quick questison...

Maybe I should have research a bit before I buy, however, it was kind of impulse and rushed shopping during on my travel... now I have 2 questions about the alexander mcqueen jeans I purchased...

1. Is there quick way to tell if jeans is washed, or pre-washed? (i believe you guys called un-sanfrorized/sanfrorized...)

2. I assume most of selvedge denim stretches, so I went ahead and gotten size that's very tight on me... just wondering if anyone know alexander mcqueen selvedge jeans stretch much or not..

Thank you..

kraands

Reaction score
Where did you purchase these? Were they not able to tell you any info on the denim?

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe I should have research a bit before I buy, however, it was kind of impulse and rushed shopping during on my travel... now I have 2 questions about the alexander mcqueen jeans I purchased...

1. Is there quick way to tell if jeans is washed, or pre-washed? (i believe you guys called un-sanfrorized/sanfrorized...)

2. I assume most of selvedge denim stretches, so I went ahead and gotten size that's very tight on me... just wondering if anyone know alexander mcqueen selvedge jeans stretch much or not..

Thank you..

1) You'd easily be able to tell if they're dry or not. As for them being, sanforized or not, they're likely the former as 90% of jeans out there will only shrink a little. Usually the only jeans that are unsanfroized are Japanese repros and STF's.

2) some dry denim only stretches very little, not all denim behaves like APC's

nobopyon

Reaction score
I purchased at Century 21 (i think that's the store call, next to a hilton hotel I stayed at for a day)...

nobopyon

Reaction score

1) You'd easily be able to tell if they're dry or not. As for them being, sanforized or not, they're likely the former as 90% of jeans out there will only shrink a little. Usually the only jeans that are unsanfroized are Japanese repros and STF's.

2) some dry denim only stretches very little, not all denim behaves like APC's

Thank you for your reply...

Would you mind tell me what is "STF"?

I hope they stretch a bit at least, so it will be more snuggle than very tight...

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where would you like the jean to strech mate? I'm actually going through the same issue with my double RRL's. If you'd like them to strech in the thighs or seats do squats/ lunges. If you'd like them strech in the waist, where them without a belt.

Just keep the tags on them and do the above.

nobopyon

Reaction score

Where would you like the jean to strech mate? I'm actually going through the same issue with my double RRL's. If you'd like them to strech in the thighs or seats do squats/ lunges. If you'd like them strech in the waist, where them without a belt.

Just keep the tags on them and do the above.

it's regular straight style jeans, so i want to stretch the waist.... and yes, as you said, I'd just wear them without a belt till it fits me better...

I also have double RRL slim fit, and they stretched to fit me better now :)

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did they strech in the thighs because they are breaking my balls!

nobopyon

Reaction score
fortunately, thighs aren't that tight for me.... and I haven't worn long enough to tell you...

For double RRL jeans, I actually looked up double RRL thread before I purchase, and ppl are telling me they do stretch some... but I don't remember they specify thighs...

You may want to check out the thread...

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thank you..
Washed and sanforized are not the same beast. You can have raw sanforized or one wash unsanforized denim. One wash refers to getting rid of the initial shrinkage that happens with all denim and sanforization is a process that tries to get most of the stretch out of the denim while keeping it in its raw state, it will still shrink a bit after this.

Also, I've never seen nor heard of McQueen selvedge denim, you sure that's what you have?

And this question belongs in the "I Have a Jean...." thread

marg

Reaction score
if the waist is too tight, dampen the top area iwith cold water and stretch the jeans a little. works like a charm.

nobopyon

Reaction score

Washed and sanforized are not the same beast. You can have raw sanforized or one wash unsanforized denim. One wash refers to getting rid of the initial shrinkage that happens with all denim and sanforization is a process that tries to get most of the stretch out of the denim while keeping it in its raw state, it will still shrink a bit after this.

Also, I've never seen nor heard of McQueen selvedge denim, you sure that's what you have?

And this question belongs in the "I Have a Jean...." thread
Thank you for clarify the difference... I have to admit, I have read the thread about sanforized and one washed... etc thread before, but obviously, i still didn't completely understood them... As you probably can guess, I'm still noob on this raw, selvedge denim thing.... About my McQueen jeans being selvedge, I'm pretty sure it is, unless there is different kind of clean edge on the outseam... other than selvedge denim.. and the label has "Alexander McQueen"... i hope it's not FAKE!!! Where do I look/feel to see if this is one-washed unsanforized or, washed sanforized..etc..?

nobopyon

Reaction score

if the waist is too tight, dampen the top area iwith cold water and stretch the jeans a little. works like a charm.

Cool... if it takes longer to stretch the waist, I will try the method...!

Thanks!

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you for clarify the difference...

I have to admit, I have read the thread about sanforized and one washed... etc thread before, but obviously, i still didn't completely understood them...

As you probably can guess, I'm still noob on this raw, selvedge denim thing....

About my McQueen jeans being selvedge, I'm pretty sure it is, unless there is different kind of clean edge on the outseam... other than selvedge denim..
and the label has "Alexander McQueen"... i hope it's not FAKE!!!

Where do I look/feel to see if this is one-washed unsanforized or, washed sanforized..etc..?
Most of the time it'll be sanforized denim and won't need anything before wearing (they can still be washed/soaked to get that small percentage of shrink out of the way, it'll happen sooner or later)

And as to your question about stretch, which I forgot to get to, you can expect around an inch of stretch in most denim. If they're tight but wearable, just try to wear them as much as possible (wetting the waistband optional), in or outside the house

Last edited:

nobopyon

Reaction score

Most of the time it'll be sanforized denim and won't need anything before wearing (they can still be washed/soaked to get that small percentage of shrink out of the way, it'll happen sooner or later)

And as to your question about stretch, which I forgot to get to, you can expect around an inch of stretch in most denim. If they're tight but wearable, just try to wear them as much as possible (wetting the waistband optional), in or outside the house
Thank you! They are tight but wearable at the moment, so hopefully, they will stretch to fit better as I wear more often.... I was just a bit worried if it doesn't stretch at all...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads