1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alexander Julian Private Reserve

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rkh78704, Mar 22, 2005.

1. rkh78704

rkh78704 New Member

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Alexander Julian Private Reserve line?  There is a wool/silk/linen jacket on STP that I have considered purchasing.

2. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

J Private Reserve is already on STP? Last fall I think, I read an article about him and his new Private Reserve line. I haven't seen any of the items, but from what I recall of the article, there aren't many stores that are expected to carry the clothes. I assume the quality is still pretty high though.

I used to be a fan of AJ back in the 1980s, mostly because his shirts had so many great colors.

3. rkh78704

rkh78704 New Member

I think some of my interest in the line is generated by nostalgia for his shirts of the 80s, as well. There was a time in the 80s, high school for me, when I wore almost no other shirts than AJ Colours.

4. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

Gave them a good, hard look at the Collective for very personal reasons. You'll rarely hear me opine this strongly: Real sh.t.

5. tdial

tdial Senior Member

Now come on, Alex, you can't just leave us hanging with that. Give us the details, sir.

6. Alexander Kabbaz

[​IMG]

7. Alexander Kabbaz

A trade show of upscale menswear held every January in NYC for industry members to do their buying. If you search "collective" you should find a discussion from this past January.

8. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters OG Affiliate Vendor

I have been a friend and retailer of Alex's creations dating back to his first launches in the eighties when I worked at Louis Boston. We are retailing his products in our new store with great success and find them to be well manufactured with "lots" of thought going into fabric design.
    I won't speak for him about his commercial enterprise with the "Colors Collection" but all designers have their strategy.
    It concerns me that other designers have little tact when speaking or being judgmental of others, especially when they offer no justification or credance to their evaluation.

9. Alexander Kabbaz

Like you, I too have a great deal of experience with Alexander Julian. The quality of their work has, at times, been top in their class ... bar none. The recent line is nowhere near the quality of work they have done in the past. I have neither time nor desire to detail the reasons, but when a designer known for quality work later uses his name to sell sh.t, I object. Such is the case here.

10. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior Member

Damnit, you're subtle.

11. Alexander Kabbaz

Only on Wednesdays. I am overcome with subtlety just before my weekly drive to the wilds of Manhattan and the sad, sad knowledge that I will be away from S.F. for 14-15 hours. [​IMG]