• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden worth the price diff over AE? (can of worms)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should point out that those A-E Hillcrests were in a non-standard color. Standard colors for the Hillcrest were black, brown, merlot and chestnut. In those colors, it looks a lot better--still not my cup of tea, though. My stepson has a pair in merlot that he's fond of, but I just don't care for bicycle toes.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Sale price to sale price AEs are hands down the better value. How often can you get a NIB Alden staple for anywhere near the $150-$175 that you frequently see AEs going down to?

So if you're like me, you probably aren't willing to pay the greater premium on a regular basis because the prices are starkly different. I own two pairs of Alden shells and I can definitely say those two seem to be worth it, but from everything I've read, Alden shell rivals brands that are much more costly.

Which brands?

B1FF

Reaction score
My Aldens are heavy and well made. All the AEs I have seen in person looked cheaply made and insubstantial.

Siggy

Reaction score
I much prefer Alden, but not because of any perceived quality issues. Rather, I prefer Alden's style, cordovan no. 8, and the Hampton last.

Here is an interesting look at inside the Alden factory:

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/page/3/

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
My Aldens are heavy and well made. All the AEs I have seen in person looked cheaply made and insubstantial.

If weight is a quality unto itself then there's going to be a lot of English shoe makers who are really missing the boat, which I don't think is the reality

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If weight is a quality unto itself then there's going to be a lot of English shoe makers who are really missing the boat, which I don't think is the reality

Also, some of the AEs are like bricks. I'd hate to have to wear anything much more substantial.
laugh.gif

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Also, some of the AEs are like bricks. I'd hate to have to wear anything much more substantial.
laugh.gif

Agree. My chunkiest AEs are the Coltons. Sleekest are probably Hampsteads, with Cliftons a close second

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the real world, Alden costs about 2x more than AE.

I'd still rather have 1 pair of new Aldens than 2 pair of AEs.

B1FF

Reaction score

AE isn't saving weight through superior design and materials.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
#8 is a standard _horween_ color. It is in no way unique to alden.

This is a fanboy myth.

Carry on.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Agreed. It is a very cool shoe. Would wear.

I share the same opinion as Foo on this matter, fwiw. There is a certain I don't know what with Alden shoes that elevates them over AE for me. Has nothing to do with fit, which will vary from person to person. It is probably a combination of somewhat important and not-so important differences like subtle imperfections, logo, binding or not at exposed edges, 360 utilitarian welt (or not), edge color, sole thickness, and cachet.

Like it or not AE has a very generic middle-management vibe. I think it mostly has to do with the logo and marketing, but with Alden I don't feel so much like Michael Scott.

Also, I've kicked myself in the ankle bone many many times wearing AE shoes b/c I'm not used to the big heel.

Again, this attitude strikes me as decidedly weird. With other mass-produced manufactured goods, which is what Alden shoes are, like it or not, imperfections are signs of poor quality control.

When A-E shoes display subtle imperfections, they are sold as seconds. In many cases, the imperfections have been so subtle that I could not perceive them even on closest scrutiny.

However, Alden fans somehow regard imperfections as a sign of "artisanship" or something. Beats me!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads