Alden vs. Brooks Brothers LASTS. Any difference???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bellison, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Bellison

Bellison Senior member

Is it me or do the Alden shoes made for Brooks Brothers look pretty different from the Alden branded Alden shoes? I am not talking about obvious differences like the signature BB foxing, but it seems that BB tassels and Alden tassels have different shapes which lead me to think that they're made on different lasts. Does anyone know if they're made on different lasts? If so, what are the lasts? [​IMG]

2. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

the BB's line look like clown shoes to me

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Are they made on different lasts???
    Yes.

4. jabreal00

jabreal00 Senior member

BB shoes are atrociously expensive and not that good looking. Just a thought.

5. Bellison

Bellison Senior member

Do you know what the lasts are?
    Yes.

6. Bellison

Bellison Senior member

I know Alden tassels are made on the Aberdeen last, but what last is the BBs made on?
    Do you know what the lasts are?

7. BBC

BBC Senior member

I know Alden tassels are made on the Aberdeen last, but what last is the BBs made on?

I take it JayJay was interpreting your question liberally as concerning all the shoes Alden makes for BB. For the tassel loafters, both the Alden and Alden for BB are on the Aberdeen last.

8. stant62

stant62 Senior member

IIRC, the tassels are on the Aberdeen. The differences seem to be on the LHS, PTB, and wingtip.

9. Bellison

Bellison Senior member

So I am just imagining the difference in shape? I heard that they make the tassels in aberdeen, copley, and plaza last. It seems like the BB tassels are not the aberdeen last.

I take it JayJay was interpreting your question liberally as concerning all the shoes Alden makes for BB. For the tassel loafters, both the Alden and Alden for BB are on the Aberdeen last.

10. BBC

BBC Senior member

It seems like the BB tassels are not the aberdeen last.

I'm wearing a pair of Alden for BB tassels right now and they are on the Aberdeen last. As for whether Alden ever used other lasts for the BB tassels, I can't say.

11. Bellison

Bellison Senior member

Does no one know the answer to this?

I'm wearing a pair of Alden for BB tassels right now and they are on the Aberdeen last. As for whether Alden ever used other lasts for the BB tassels, I can't say.

12. srivats

srivats Senior member

Does no one know the answer to this?

Here is the info on BB alden lasts:

Cap Toe Blucher: Snap last (very similar to hampton)
    PTB: M58 last (same as barrie but sized 1/2 size up -- i.e buy your usual size in BB PTBs)
    Wingtip Bal: Plaza last
    Captoe Bal: Hampton last
    Unlined LHS: Copley last *
    Monk/Tassel/Full Strap: aberdeen

The BB tassels are on the same aberdeen last that alden sell themselves.

* A few people have said that the BB unlined LHS in black color fits differently than burgundy. May be that one is Copley last and one is on Van last. I don't know for sure.

13. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

Srivats,
    I have maintained for years that, on the visual evidence, the BB LHS is on a different last than the Van. Everyone has told me no, that both Alden and BB lhs are on the identical Van. The BB has a slimmer toe, so Copley it is. Where did you get a confirmed list?

14. srivats

srivats Senior member

Srivats,
    I have maintained for years that, on the visual evidence, the BB LHS is on a different last than the Van. Everyone has told me no, that both Alden and BB lhs are on the identical Van. The BB has a slimmer toe, so Copley it is. Where did you get a confirmed list?

Tom supplied some of the info, some are pulled from the huge alden thread over at SW&D (one SF member confirmed with alden). I emailed alden personally about the captoe bals.

The copley/van confusion has been going on for a long time. Even with BB, some people say that it is on Van -- but visually, to me they appear to be on a different last. AAAC has quite a few threads where people discuss the fit difference *within* BB unlined LHS models (black/burgundy). It is crazy!

15. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

It should be a matter of record rather than folklore. I mean, it's not as though secretiveness will increase sales. Does anyone know someone at Alden who will provide a complete, definitive list?