• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden sizing

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
Are Aldens true to their size? Does it completely depend on the last or is there a general tendency?

Thanks, folks.

bch

Reaction score
Speaking only for the Plaza and Aberdeen lasts which I own, I believe they are true to size. I understand that the Barrie last runs about 1/2 size large, though, per the folks at Alden of Carmel when I inquired about availability and size recommendation.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take a 10.5 but I found that in the Barrie, for the long wing tip cordo, a size 11 was a better fit. 10.5 fits me better in the cordo tassle loafer.

Phil

Reaction score
I can say from personal experience that the sizing for Aldens vary quite a bit, depending on the last. Also, dont forget, it can depend on the leather. A shoe made from cordovan leather will take the shape of the last differently than the same shoe in calf. From my own dealings with Alden I can offer this example:

Cordovan leather chukkas, barrie last, 11C
Calfskin chukkas, barrie last, 11D

Black Cordovan leather lace up high boots, trubalance last, 11E
Black cordovan leather chukkas, 10.5 D
Tan calfskin oxfords, plaza last, 11E.

Not only will different lasts feel and fit differently, but often times the same model shoe, on the same last, might feel and fit differently. Shoes arent metal slugs, stamped out by a machine. They vary, each shoe feels different.

Another example - I own 2 pair of Edward greens in the 606 last. Same size, same model, same leather. One pair pinches my toes, the other doesnt. Why? who the hell knows, but its true.

I dont know if the shoe experts on here will disagree, and if they do, I defer to their judgement, but to me its an exercise in futility to ask a question about how a shoe fits without trying something on.

arenn1

Reaction score
My experience has been Alden sizes are prone to vary significant from standard. Alden of Carmel publishes a conversion chart, but I would want to be sure to try on a pair made from your particularly last. http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Catalog....ing.htm The Barrie last definitely fits large. I'm wearing a half size smaller in it than normal and it is still not a tight fit by any means. I also believe the cordovans fit larger than the calfskin.

masugu

Reaction score
Hi.... I wear a size 8E on the Barrie last. My Shell Cordovan Chukkas, Plain Toe Bluchers and long wing bluchers fit well.

Can anyone tell me if I should be fine with the Cap Toe Cordovan boot on the Barrie last - also in 8E? I know that one often sizes down in boots...but since all my Aldens are on the Barrie last, should I stay in the same size?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads