• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden shoes for casual use (in NYC)

Oxnard

Reaction score
I am going to New York City in a few days for a concert, and I was hoping to pick up a pair of Alden Shoes (I live in North Carolina so this is my best chance to get a pair) I was hoping to get some recommendations for any particular Alden models that work well with casual outfits; straight leg jeans, slacks, button down shirts, flannels, etc. For the most part I dress casually, I wear a lot of Engineered Garments primarily, as well as BoO, Geller, and also some Hickey Style or jcrew for basics. This is going to be my first serious shoe purchase, but I have a couple pairs of Common Projects, some Quoddys, but nothing as nice as Alden. Any additional info on particular models, colors, or lasts that you think work well with casual outfits would be very helpful. I was planning on probably getting some kind of calf-skin blucher, but I may be able to scramble up enough money for cordovan if that seems like the best option. Also, I won't have a lot of shopping time, so I was planning on heading to the Alden store on 344 Madison Avenue @44th Street, but if anyone knows of a better location it would be much appreciated. Feel free to recommend other brands, stores, etc. as well.

Morgan

Reaction score
My first pair of Aldens were the 974 balmoral wingtips in #8 cordovan, purchased at that very same shop. I wear them with suits and they look even better with denim. If you want a preppier look, go with the penny loafers in burgundy calf (984) or # 8 cordo (986); the latter are classics that can be worn casually anywhere on the eastern seaboard. And you cannot go wrong with the plaintoe bluchers or chukka boots in any color. I was recently in the SF shop and they had both these latter shoes in cigar and whiskey cordovan, and they were gorgeous. If you're lucky the Mad Av shop may have some too.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The penny loafers in shell cordovan could be versative for your purposes. Perhaps also the longwing brogue. Check out the Alden store and also the Brooks Brothers, which is only a couple blocks further up.

andyw

Reaction score
If what you seek is the main catalog selections, best pricing is found at Stapleton Shoe Campany (212) 964-6329) at 68 Trinity Place in lower Manhattan, close to ground zero if you plan to be there anyway. They will have in stock a wide range of tassel loafers, bluchers and bals in a range of colors, calf and shell cordovan.....just about everything the Alden Store on Mad. Ave. stocks.

If you want one-off special make-ups, the Alden Store on Mad. Ave. is a good resource. Another option is the Moulded Shoe Company (212 685-0269) at 10 East 39th Street within close walking distance. They have an enormous inventory of archival styles built on lasts not commonly encountered.....along with the main catalog stock. Both the Alden Store and Moulded will charge full retail, Stapleton will be around 20% and more discounted.

Enjoy!

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
1892 suede unlined chukka

Andy -- is that shoe discounted @ Stapleton?

Give them a call.

Oxnard

Reaction score
...still undecided on what model to get. Does anyone know how much the various shoe accessories cost? I've tried lookng it up but can find no solid numbers. Im assuming that they will sell shoe trees, polish, etc. Was hoping to keep this under $500 but with NY sales tax that hope is looking grim..

amlai

Reaction score
The accessories are pretty standard pricing. Polish, they'll probably throw in for free when you buy a pair of shoes. Shoe trees, I think is around $30.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
...still undecided on what model to get. Does anyone know how much the various shoe accessories cost? I've tried lookng it up but can find no solid numbers. Im assuming that they will sell shoe trees, polish, etc. Was hoping to keep this under $500 but with NY sales tax that hope is looking grim..

Try the Captoe oxford in black or #8 shell. I had a pair in black that I loved, but ended up selling it after I got a pair of the captoe ankle boots in black shell (probably one of my best footwear purchases ever). If you want another idea for a oxford, how about a NST in #8 (may be over $500). I got a pair off ebay a while back and while it didn't look all that impressive when I opened the box. When I wore them outdoors I saw all sorts of crazy patina on them in the sunlight. That's something to look forward to if you decide to buy a pair of anything in #8 shell.

anyways the salesmen at the madison store are really helpful, just explain that you are in town for a trip and they will probably spend a good amount of time with you while you try on several pairs.

The service at Moulded shoes is excellent as well and it's really a short walk away from the Alden store on madison.

On a separate note, if you get a chance, look at some of the #8 shell shoes on displayat the madison store that are near the window, some of them are really faded and some of the imperfections in the leather can be seen. This will make you appreciate why lighter colored shell cordovan is as rare as they say
smile.gif

Oxnard

Reaction score
Allright, so I went to the Alden shop on Madison Avenue on sunday, and got myself a pair of plain toe cigar shell cordovan oxfords. Just wanted to let everyone know that, as of a few days ago, the store was having 20% off all their non-cordovan shoes, and $50 off on all cordovan shoes. They had a lot of no.8 burgundy cordovan shoes, and some sizes left in whiskey shell and cigar shell, though for those two it tended to be larger and samller sizes. Luckily an 11d worked for me Overall, my shoes were roughly $565 with tax. I wasnt planning on getting cordovan from the start, but the cigar shell is just so gorgeous that I cuoldn't resist. The service there was excellent; I have never been in an Alden store (or anything similar really) and was pleasantly surprised at how helpful and down-to-earth the two salesmen were, and I look forward to shopping there in the future if I can ever afford it again. One last thing I was curious about though is if I am supposed to treat or clean the bottom of the shoes or if I can just let them get dirty.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice choice, I was going to suggest the plain-toe blucher before I scrolled down to your update.

You should just wear them, the double leather sole will take years before you need to do any cobbler work on them.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Nice choice, I was going to suggest the plain-toe blucher before I scrolled down to your update.

You should just wear them, the double leather sole will take years before you need to do any cobbler work on them.

Aren't they more like 1.5 leather sole than double?

JonB27

Reaction score
Has anyone bought the "vintage Indy's" from leather souls? I'm thinking of getting a pair.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ those vintage Alden Indys just came out, I'd doubt anyone has them yet even if they ordered a pair already. They look super nice though, I just got a pair of the regular indys and hope that they look great once i beat them up.

BTW Brooks brothers is having a sale on black shell longwings, they are made in the USA so I'm certain they are Alden. You have to find them through the Black Fleece catalog online. My size was out of stock but plans to ship in January. I hope they look and fit as good as I hope.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
Allright, so I went to the Alden shop on Madison Avenue on sunday, and got myself a pair of plain toe cigar shell cordovan oxfords. Just wanted to let everyone know that, as of a few days ago, the store was having 20% off all their non-cordovan shoes, and $50 off on all cordovan shoes. They had a lot of no.8 burgundy cordovan shoes, and some sizes left in whiskey shell and cigar shell, though for those two it tended to be larger and samller sizes. Luckily an 11d worked for me Overall, my shoes were roughly $565 with tax. I wasnt planning on getting cordovan from the start, but the cigar shell is just so gorgeous that I cuoldn't resist. The service there was excellent; I have never been in an Alden store (or anything similar really) and was pleasantly surprised at how helpful and down-to-earth the two salesmen were, and I look forward to shopping there in the future if I can ever afford it again. One last thing I was curious about though is if I am supposed to treat or clean the bottom of the shoes or if I can just let them get dirty.

Ho! 20% off -- suede chukkas, here I come early.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads