• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden shoe sizing on ebay

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone decipher the shoe sizing for this pair of Aldens that's currently listed on ebay (url below)? Â The seller lists them as a size "8 B/D". Â A question to the seller as to what that shoe width meant elicited the following response: "These shoes are a Medium size for Aldens. Â The width is a B. Â that is Medium." In response to a follow-up question requesting clarification of a width B meaning medium, he suggested I try the Alden website. Â In every other shoe I've bought, there's quite a difference between B and D and "B" would be considered narrow. Â From what I've seen of the Alden website, their shoes are no different. Â Am I missing something? Alden shoes TIA, dan

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Alden lists the heel width as well as the foot width in their shoes. 8 B/D means a B width in the heel and a D width on the foot. This translates to a normal D width or Medium by American sizing standards. My E width Aldens say C/E. I'm not sure why Alden lists the heel width because I'm not aware that you can order a shoe with different combinations, e.g. 8 A/E.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, that makes much more sense. Thanks a lot for the response.

dan

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is also a difference between the various lasts Alden uses (particular "Barrie", which they use quite a lot, runs larger than most other lasts). That page should give you the necessary information: http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Catalog....ing.htm P.S. The shoes you are interested in come on the Barrie last, they will be on the big side.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is also a difference between the various lasts Alden uses (particular "Barrie", which they use quite a lot, runs larger than most other lasts). That page should give you the necessary information: http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Catalog....ing.htm P.S. The shoes you are interested in come on the Barrie last, they will be on the big side.
Again, thanks. Â I'm a 7.5 or 8 US depending on the manufacturer, so an Alden 8 is undoubtedly too big for me. dan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads