• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Shoe Polishing Cloth hard to find online

David Copeland

Reaction score
Although all of my shoes are Allen Edmond, when I was ordering a few accessories at the AE internet site - I read a review which mentioned the Alden Polishing Cloth being superior to the AE version in size.

I went to the Alden web site and was dismayed to see they have no store to purchase anything. All they had was a list of retail stores, which took me 30 minutes to go through and try out the retail store sites for the polishing cloth. None of them sold over the internet!

Nothing on Amazon and nothing on eBay.

Back to Google I found one (1) single store - www.needsupply.com - that sells the Alden Polishing Cloth for only $2.00! (Shipping was extra, unless I bought $50).

Surfing around their site, I found they sell Saphir Shoe wax at a very good price. A private email to their agent says they will be adding some other Saphir creams and products soon.

You would think in this internet age that some retail store would offer a simple polishing cloth on Amazon to promote their store, especially since there are no up-front listing fees for selling on Amazon.

Oh well . . . I got what I needed.

PS: When I tried calling the Alden Factory - no one answered any of their phone extensions. Everything went to voice mail as if it was a Chinese New Year Month.

David

12 inches by 26 inches

David Copeland

Reaction score
Well, the jury has returned with a verdict (in my opinion) .

• Alden Shoe Polish Cloth
  • Allen Edmonds Polish Cloth
  • Hanger Project Shine Chamois

Allen Edmonds Polish Cloth
$2.00 with FREE SHIPPING:
Size is 22.5 Inches Length by 5.5 Inches wide
Backside: Less porous than front flanell, which may be better
The Allen Edmonds (AE) Polishing Cloth is so close to the Alden Shoe (AS) Polishing Cloth in quality and size, that it is best to avoid the shipping cost of the AS version and go with Allen Edmonds for free shipping!

Alden Shoe Cloth
$2.00 plus Shipping of $7.95 (unless order is over $50)
Size is: 22.5 Inches Length by 11.7 Inches Wide
Backside: Same as front (flannel), which may be too porous of a fabric.

Hangerproject Cloth:
$12.00 Plus Shipping (Unless order is over $75)
Size is: 20 Inches Length by 12 Inches Wide
Backside: Appears to have a less porous backside fabric than the front Twill Fabric which is spun into a Chamois.

I will be trying out all of these now that I bought them, not only for polishing but also for applying the creams and polishes to the shoes as shown in videos.

David

Last edited:

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
David, I get where you're coming from, and I do wonder if unscrupulous internet retailers are preparing as we speak to take advantage you with a web shop devoted entirely to name brand "shoe polishing cloth," but I would encourage you to cut up an old t-shirt.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flannel rags gleened from an old bedsheet or shirt $0.00

Welcome to Styleforum David, and thank you kindly for the generous jumbo fonts.

bertie

Reaction score

Flannel rags gleened from an old bedsheet or shirt $0.00

Welcome to Styleforum David, and thank you kindly for the generous jumbo fonts.

+1. Or you can go all out like I did and go to a fabric shop, buy 3 meters of white flannel, take it home and launder it, then cut into 2 inch wide strips which should give you a few years of use for about $15 .

David Copeland

Reaction score
+1. Or you can go all out like I did and go to a fabric shop, buy 3 meters of white flannel, take it home and launder it, then cut into 2 inch wide strips which should give you a few years of use for about $15 .

Great tip!

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
You clearly didn't look very hard if you only found it online at one store. In addition to Need Supply it's also available online here

http://korvue.shophaberdash.com/products/polishing-cloth/alden-shoe-co.//4527095____
There you go again, Tristan -

You did not read Post #1 or Post #2 very carefully. But that's okay, I am not going to buy any more Alden clothes and pay $8 for shipping - when I can get nearly the same size and quality from Allen Edmonds for two-dollars and FREE SHIPPING.

By the way, my friend, the link you posted is either dead or just goes to the main page.

My very best to you and the City of Richmond, California,

David

Member of several Huff Clubs

David Copeland

Reaction score
so what's your verdict?
In my opinion, and for my personal shoes and boots, the jury is still out on a single solution. Although I purchased all of the items listed above, plus have used cotton t-shirts, the results I have gotten are pretty equal.

I also was encourage to obtain a used pair of Levi's, and cut strips up because one side of the "canvassed" cotton is different than the other side of the Levi cloth.

And for applying polish, I am considering the recommendation of another SF member to use Latex Gloves, which will provide more of an intimate and controlled feeling of applying polish.

All my best,

David

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads