1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Alden Shoe Polishing Cloth hard to find online

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by David Copeland, Apr 6, 2013.

1. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Although all of my shoes are Allen Edmond, when I was ordering a few accessories at the AE internet site - I read a review which mentioned the Alden Polishing Cloth being superior to the AE version in size.

I went to the Alden web site and was dismayed to see they have no store to purchase anything. All they had was a list of retail stores, which took me 30 minutes to go through and try out the retail store sites for the polishing cloth. None of them sold over the internet!

Nothing on Amazon and nothing on eBay.

Back to Google I found one (1) single store - www.needsupply.com - that sells the Alden Polishing Cloth for only $2.00! (Shipping was extra, unless I bought $50).

Surfing around their site, I found they sell Saphir Shoe wax at a very good price. A private email to their agent says they will be adding some other Saphir creams and products soon.

You would think in this internet age that some retail store would offer a simple polishing cloth on Amazon to promote their store, especially since there are no up-front listing fees for selling on Amazon.

Oh well . . . I got what I needed.

PS: When I tried calling the Alden Factory - no one answered any of their phone extensions. Everything went to voice mail as if it was a Chinese New Year Month.

David

[​IMG]
    12 inches by 26 inches

2. David Copeland

Well, the jury has returned with a verdict (in my opinion) .

• Alden Shoe Polish Cloth
    • Allen Edmonds Polish Cloth
    • Hanger Project Shine Chamois

[​IMG]
    Allen Edmonds Polish Cloth
    $2.00 with FREE SHIPPING:
    Size is 22.5 Inches Length by 5.5 Inches wide
    Backside: Less porous than front flanell, which may be better
    The Allen Edmonds (AE) Polishing Cloth is so close to the Alden Shoe (AS) Polishing Cloth in quality and size, that it is best to avoid the shipping cost of the AS version and go with Allen Edmonds for free shipping!

[​IMG]

Alden Shoe Cloth
    $2.00 plus Shipping of $7.95 (unless order is over $50)
    Size is: 22.5 Inches Length by 11.7 Inches Wide
    Backside: Same as front (flannel), which may be too porous of a fabric.

[​IMG]

Hangerproject Cloth:
    $12.00 Plus Shipping (Unless order is over $75)
    Size is: 20 Inches Length by 12 Inches Wide
    Backside: Appears to have a less porous backside fabric than the front Twill Fabric which is spun into a Chamois.

I will be trying out all of these now that I bought them, not only for polishing but also for applying the creams and polishes to the shoes as shown in videos.

David

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

David, I get where you're coming from, and I do wonder if unscrupulous internet retailers are preparing as we speak to take advantage you with a web shop devoted entirely to name brand "shoe polishing cloth," but I would encourage you to cut up an old t-shirt.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Flannel rags gleened from an old bedsheet or shirt $0.00

Welcome to Styleforum David, and thank you kindly for the generous jumbo fonts.

5. bertie

bertie Senior member

+1. Or you can go all out like I did and go to a fabric shop, buy 3 meters of white flannel, take it home and launder it, then cut into 2 inch wide strips which should give you a few years of use for about $15 .

6. David Copeland

Great tip!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  7. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

8. David Copeland

There you go again, Tristan -

You did not read Post #1 or Post #2 very carefully. But that's okay, I am not going to buy any more Alden clothes and pay $8 for shipping - when I can get nearly the same size and quality from Allen Edmonds for two-dollars and FREE SHIPPING.

By the way, my friend, the link you posted is either dead or just goes to the main page.

My very best to you and the City of Richmond, California,

David

Member of several Huff Clubs

9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

so what's your verdict?

10. David Copeland

In my opinion, and for my personal shoes and boots, the jury is still out on a single solution. Although I purchased all of the items listed above, plus have used cotton t-shirts, the results I have gotten are pretty equal.

I also was encourage to obtain a used pair of Levi's, and cut strips up because one side of the "canvassed" cotton is different than the other side of the Levi cloth.

And for applying polish, I am considering the recommendation of another SF member to use Latex Gloves, which will provide more of an intimate and controlled feeling of applying polish.

All my best,

David