• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Shell Corodovan Color Question

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some insight into the various colors of Alden shell cordovan. I have come across a great deal of variability with AE shell, but wasn't expecting the same from Alden. Maybe I should, however, since I assume they get their hides from the same source.

Alright, so I have a pair of #8 and they are dark, and I mean DARK. Now I have these (not my photo) and they are nowhere near the #8 shade. I did a quick search on colors and if there is another cordovan color offered by Alden it has somehow alluded me. These seem far too red to be cigar and far too light to be #8. What am I missing?

c1e5_1.JPG

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are just old faded #8 shoes. Alden's colors are as follows:

Whiskey (light tan)
Ravello (dark tan)
Cigar (medium brown)
Mahogany (reddish brown, discontinued)
#8 (burgundy)
Black

Anything besides #8 and Black are very hard to find now days.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is also a "Ravello" color which is another shade of brown, but I think those in the picture are a faded #8. The pair that you have will get to that shade as well, but only after a very long time and if you don't let Alden reapply the #8 coloring if you ever send them in. Edit: Doh, Tom beat me
tongue.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually enjoy all the shades of color from the shell cordovan offerings except the light tan, ravello, and the black.

As the tanning process takes so long (6 months), there's bound to be some variations in even the same color family. That's part of the attractions about shell cordovan, at least for me.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
As the tanning process takes so long (6 months), there's bound to be some variations in even the same color family. That's part of the attractions about shell cordovan, at least for me.
That, and add to the fact that Alden applies their own extra coloring to the #8 shell when they get it from Horween.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Those are just old faded #8 shoes. Alden's colors are as follows:

Whiskey (light tan)
Ravello (dark tan)
Cigar (medium brown)
Mahogany (reddish brown, discontinued)
#8 (burgundy)
Black

Anything besides #8 and Black are very hard to find now days.

Thanks. These were the colors I could account for and was assuming my shoes were light #8's. I actually like the color quite a bit.....

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
There was a recent thread at AAAC that discussed the variations of #8 color. There was speculation by some that it has darkened in recent years.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If Nate Humble ends up visiting a local Alden trunk show later this month, I think I'll ask him about this.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#8 can vary quite a bit, from near-black to obviously reddish burgundy.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen a number of Alden wingtips that have some noticeable variation in color among the different parts of the same shoe.

I've just chalked up to the nature of shell.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
If Nate Humble ends up visiting a local Alden trunk show later this month, I think I'll ask him about this.

Robin, Nate will be there.

navysuede

Reaction score
HHHHHH'' Genuine Shell Cordovan..For Alden of Middleboro Mass. or AE of Port Washington Wisc.The source for these companies and a few others would be
Horween Leather Co. of Chicago which has more than a few years experience
tanning horse skin or as they put it horse fronts..The supply currently is very
tight and usually earmarked for a few companies and bespoke makers who
know how to handle such a precious skin.Very unlikely that you would be able
to lighten them.To darken would be no problem.Just wear them in good health.
Very special shoes..

Good luck

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of my older #8 Alden shells have gone 'two-tone'. Enjoy the variety.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Does Alden offer a made to order shoe program like arch rival Allen Edmonds?

I sure hope so as Allen Edmonds made to order shoe program is one of the biggest reasons as to why I am a huge fan of Allen Edmonds shoes. There are many reasons as to why I am a huge fan of Allen Edmonds shoes (too many to list here, I am afraid).
smile.gif

FWIW, Allen Edmonds markets their made to order shoe program as custom shoe program.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads