• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden "Seattle" Shoe

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
I recently designed an Alden shoe that is soon to go into production for J. Gilbert Footwear in Seattle.

Since we get lots of wet weather here, I felt an ideal shoe for our climate would be a welcome addition to my shoe wardrobe.

The "Seattle" model will be a 5 eyelet plain toe Blucher, made from brown oil tanned Kudu leather on the Plaza last. It will have a commando sole.

I felt this collection of design elements would make for an ideal wet weather shoe. I chose the commando sole over Alden's plantation crepe sole, because I felt it would be more durable for extended walking on wet pavement. The leather portion of the commando sole is in the shank area of the shoe, so it doesn't make contact with the ground. Since the sole is partially leather, it allows the shoe to breathe, while still offering the wet weather traction and durability of rubber used in the ball and heel area.

I chose the Plaza last because it is my favorite Alden last, and 1 of only 2 Alden lasts I can wear.

I thought calling it the "Seattle" would be an appropriate name for the shoe because of our climate here.

I don't work for J. Gilbert Footwear, and have no other affiliation with this company, other than being a long time customer.

If anyone is interested in this shoe, and would like to reserve their size, J. Gilbert is now accepting deposits.

Contact J. Gilbert Footwear in Seattle, and ask for Yenni. Tell her you are interested in Jess Monroe's "Seattle" shoe.

Jess

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
I felt Kudu would be the best leather choice for a wet weather shoe. Also, I rather like the look. It is very different than all my other Alden smooth leather shoes. This leather on the Plaza last will give the shoe a rugged, yet refined look!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
what is the combat sole? commando sole?
thats my assumption. would love to see pics. its an intriguing combination

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Yes, it will have the commando sole (original post has been edited). No pictures yet because so far the only place this shoe exists is in my imagination.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like kudu leather. I never pictured it on a shoe but I'm very interested in seeing pics when available.

Any idea when it will see the light of day?

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Here is a link to pictures of an an Alden boot made of Kudu leather on the Plaza last.

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...h_Boot_292.htm

My guess is that this Kudu shoe will be ready in late 2011. Since this will be a limited edition Alden shoe, the only way to be sure your size will go into production, is to preorder it now.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmonroestyle
Here is a link to pictures of an an Alden boot made of Kudu leather on the Plaza last.

My guess is that this Kudo shoe will be ready in late 2011. Since this will be a limited edition Alden shoe, the only way to be sure your size will go into production, is to preorder it now.

I e-mailed them to specifics. Good luck with this endeavor.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmonroestyle

My guess is that this Kudu shoe will be ready in late 2011. Since this will be a limited edition Alden shoe, the only way to be sure your size will go into production, is to preorder it now.

I have that boot - wore it all winter in Michigan - perfect.

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
I just picked up my new shoes today from J. Gilbert Footwear. I was going to call this shoe the "Seattle" shoe. However, J. Gilbert Footwear ended up naming the shoe after me, so it is now the "Jess Monroe" shoe.

These shoes are now in stock. So far my size and one other has been sold, so there are 10 pairs in different sizes still available.

It feels great to have a shoe like this for Seattle's rainy season, when I keep my less weatherproof Alden shoes at home.

Last edited:

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
The Kudu leather and Commando sole makes the cost of this shoe a little higher than J. Gilbert's other Alden calf shoes. This model retails for $525

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads