• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Rugged Indy or Red Wing Heritage Beckman or other?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a set of work/outdoor boots and am weighing my options. I've heard great things about the Indy and the Beckman but I'm having trouble deciding if either is right for me, or if another would be better.

I quite like the style of both (and would consider something similar if a better solution was offered). One concern I have is that neither mentions how well they stand up to water and snow. Part of the reason that I'm getting these in the first place is that I'm going back to Vermont for New Years. I'll be there for a week and all I have right now are shoes with no tread at all. I need something that will hold up well, has good tread and can take some amount of water.

What I need in terms of water resistance isn't full-on waterproof. I'd probably go for Timberlands or something to that effect if that's what I truly cared the most about. But I do want boots that walking along a slushy sidewalk with ankle-high snow won't leave my feet sodden and frozen. Good, wool socks will go a long way to help me in that regard but I want some protection from the boot as well.

Would either of these boots fit the bill? And if not what are some alternatives? Thanks!

Bonus points if its' something I can pick up here in San Francisco.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go for the White's Semi-dress boots (custom):

http://www.bakershoe.com/boots-shoe...ts/product/custom-semi-dress-by-whites-boots/

Indy boot has a weird issue with the tongue always going to one side and Red Wing's are notoriously rough to break in. White's are similarly priced ($390) and you get to customize every option (leather, sole, color, etc.)

Some examples:

and for water-proofing:

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=30

Last edited:

cathpah

Reaction score
Another option would be Wolverine 1000 mile boots.

I own Beckmans (in black cherry) and 1000 miles (in shell cordovan), and I've tried on (and love) the Alden Indys....so they're all great boots. That said, if you're looking for a boot that you can beat up a bit (water/snow/etc) I wouldn't do that to an expensive boot like the Indys. While the Indys aren't overly formal, they are pretty damn expensive...so I'd want to keep them looking sharp. While I wouldn't wear my cordovan 1000 miles in crappy weather, I'd certainly wear a pair of 1000 miles in leather or my beckmans.

Also, I agree with the above recommendation for using Obenaufs as your waterproofer.

Edit: I'm a fellow New Englander, so I understand the weather you're talking about.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Wolverine 1000 looks very nice, but the sole is smooth which worries me. One of the reasons the Beckman and the Rugged Indy appealed to me was they have a slightly more aggressive tread, which is handy when on less than smooth ground.

The White's look interesting. Wish there weren't so many options, haha.

blake3030

Reaction score
Whites look weird in my opinion. That high tapered heel just looks off.

planetarium

Reaction score
If you want one pair of boots, go for the Red Wings. If you like old school hiking styles, check out Danner's Stumptown stuff. Indy boots are aesthetically great and definitely comfortable, but I notice the lack of traction when walking on dirt or grass. I know the 404 with the lug sole would alleviate that problem, but the options I listed above are cheaper and generally more aesthetically pleasing.

Additionally, pretty much all of the Red Wings and Danners will look better with age while certain Alden leathers will just look beat up.

White's are amazing and you can customize the sole to your liking, but you have to special order. Wait time is around 6-8 weeks at the moment. I think that the tapered heel is one of their great advantages both visually and functionally, but it does lend itself to outdoorsy or "heritage" styles.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the OP's requirements, I would recommend the Beckman - attractive, practical, versatile, aggresive sole, good price, and easily obtainable.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another option would be Wolverine 1000 mile boots.

I own Beckmans (in black cherry) and 1000 miles (in shell cordovan), and I've tried on (and love) the Alden Indys....so they're all great boots. That said, if you're looking for a boot that you can beat up a bit (water/snow/etc) I wouldn't do that to an expensive boot like the Indys.  While the Indys aren't overly formal, they are pretty damn expensive...so I'd want to keep them looking sharp.  While I wouldn't wear my cordovan 1000 miles in crappy weather, I'd certainly wear a pair of 1000 miles in leather or my beckmans.

Also, I agree with the above recommendation for using Obenaufs as your waterproofer.

Edit:  I'm a fellow New Englander, so I understand the weather you're talking about.

This.

I own 3 Indy's, love'em (I am also in L.A. so we do not have a "winter") I wouldn't beat up my Indy's, though they are aging nicely with some lite scuffs. I would vote for the Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot. Super comfortable, and takes a beating well, looks even better with age.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whites look weird in my opinion. That high tapered heel just looks off.
You can get it with a block heel.
The Wolverine 1000 looks very nice, but the sole is smooth which worries me. One of the reasons the Beckman and the Rugged Indy appealed to me was they have a slightly more aggressive tread, which is handy when on less than smooth ground. The White's look interesting. Wish there weren't so many options, haha.
You can get them with as aggressive a tread as you see fit. I simply posted some examples.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
I have a pair of Alden 403's (brown CXL Indy) and a pair of Red Wing 9015 (black) that I wore throughout the Minnesota winter last year. I wore the 403's a lot more because they are so much more comfortable. In fact, I think my pair of Red Wings still need more breaking in. As far as traction goes, the 403's have the neo-cork sole that has no tread pattern of any kind, but I was fairly careful when I wore them out during the snowy months and didn't experience any problems. The Red Wings, with their version if the commando sole, didn't feel like they offered that much more grip because the rubber on the sole gets hard in the cold anyway. Neither boot allowed water or snow to seep in during the limited times I've walked in ankle deep snow in them, but I did put sno-seal on the Indy's.

For this winter, I've got a pair of black Indy 401's to replace the Red Wing 9015's because I found a pair at a good deal. The Red Wings are nice boots, but I just love the Indy's a lot more because they are comfortable and I think they look great. If you're not doing anything extreme in the snow and take proper precaution walking in snowy conditions, I think the Indy's should be just fine.

BTW, those custom Whites look very interesting. If I was in the market for a pair of boots, I'd definitely give those a try.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of beckmans which i wear all winter. they are waterproof and great for the most part. just realize in very snowy/icy conditions, you can defintely lose your footing. I have busted ****** a few times while going down icy hills or streets at ski resorts. But I look great doing it. :D

Reaction score
I like the look of the Beckman 9030. I might have to find a pair of those to try on this weekend!

aiiy

Reaction score
are those 9030 hard to break...? it's really look rugged boots...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads