• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Rejects/Seconds

Rolo

Reaction score
Are any of you familiar with the (R) stamp on the bottom of some Alden shoes. I was wondering if this was R for Reject or is it just a second mark.

I picked up one pair off eBay (chocolate suede chukkas) that had this stamp that I wasn't too thrilled with. They seemed to have an oily substance on the toe.

A whole lot of Alden boots went up yesterday from another dealer (Hitch-N-Post) that also have this stamp. He says its there to prevent returns and they are not rejects. I can live with seconds, but I don't want to buy another pair that has obvious problems.

Rolo

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
All of the rejects/factory seconds I have bought at the Shoe Mart have that R, so I would say it means rejects. On the other hand, I thought Shoe Mart was the only place that gets Alden factory seconds.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I had a very unsatisfactory experience with Hitch-N-Post last year. I have no trouble with factory rejects if the blemishes are not visible, or if they are of the type that one would experience on the first few wearings. The Alden's I purchased from Hitch-N-Post had a serious gouge in them that someone had attempted to fill in with some type of rubbery putty. Hitch-N-Post took the return, but did not reimburse shipping. I posted a message about this, but can't seem to find it now.

I love Aldens, but will not purchase from this seller.

Bic

abc123

Reaction score
How much do seconds from shoemart geneally end up costing?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
I had a very unsatisfactory experience with Hitch-N-Post last year. I have no trouble with factory rejects if the blemishes are not visible, or if they are of the type that one would experience on the first few wearings. The Alden's I purchased from Hitch-N-Post had a serious gouge in them that someone had attempted to fill in with some type of rubbery putty. Hitch-N-Post took the return, but did not reimburse shipping. I posted a message about this, but can't seem to find it now.

I love Aldens, but will not purchase from this seller.

Bic

You are not the first person who has said Hitch-N-Post's Aldens are significantly sub-par.

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123
How much do seconds from shoemart geneally end up costing?

I believe that when I asked recently the prices they mentioned were $325 for cordovan and $225 for calfskin.

I wonder if Hitch-N-Post gets the seconds that Shoemart finds too be too low in quality.

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
How do you get these seconds from shoemart? I went on their site and found none.

Send them an email (or you could probably call) and they'll tell you what styles they have available in your size.

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
In my experience, the Alden lasts vary tremoundously. A size 13 in the Alden Barrie last is way too big for me whereas I wear a 13 in Allen-Edmonds and a 13 in the Alden Hampton last is a perfect fit. The prices posted above for shoemart seconds are accurate as of a few weeks ago.

billiebob

Reaction score
The Barrie last (which includes the plaintoe cordo bluchers by Alden for Brooks Brothers) runs 1/2 size large for me (US 11). My right foot is an 11E, and the 10.5 Barrie last is still very comfortable.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
R does stand for Rejects. I don't know how Hitch-n-Post get's their Alden rejects, but be aware...while some may be hidden gems, most are not.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just as an FYI...those looking for a good deal on shell cordovan...

Peter Elliot outlet has Carmina shells in three models reduced from $750-$795 to $295-$350. There are two slip-on including a tassled loafer and a classic penny with dainite sole. There is also one size left in a Jodphur boot. I got the last pair of the captoe boots yesterday.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Just as an FYI...those looking for a good deal on shell cordovan...

Peter Elliot outlet has Carmina shells in three models reduced from $750-$795 to $295-$350. There are two slip-on including a tassled loafer and a classic penny with dainite sole. There is also one size left in a Jodphur boot. I got the last pair of the captoe boots yesterday.

Hey Andrew - what size in the boot.. and where is said Peter Elliot outlet? Can I only purchase from the B&M? Never heard of 'em.

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Thanks, would a 10 in AE's translate to a 10 in Aldens?

If you call up Shoemart and tell them what size and AE lasts you wear they may be able to help you figure out what Alden lasts will work. When I talked to Ed at Shoemart I told him how some of the other shoes that they carry fit me and he was able to point me in the right direction. Unfortunately the pair of chukka boot seconds in my size that was labled as the #8 color ended up being black
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads