• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Recrafting - A Recent Experience

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Before: First two photos from left to right. After: ($145, incl. new cedar shoe trees).

Relatively happy with the experience. The sole edge dressing on one shoe (where the stiches are in the welt) was a bit sloppy and had ragged edges. Easily removed with a razor blade and then edge dressing applied. Still I would have preferred to have them done as well as the shoeshine guys at the airport.

The work from Alden is superior to the $125 I paid 6 six months previously to Bennie's in Atlanta.

Pics of the recrafted shoes are from the unboxing and will buff up to a higher shine.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
Before: First two photos from left to right. After: ($145, incl. new cedar shoe trees).

Relatively happy with the experience. The sole edge dressing on one shoe (where the stiches are in the welt) was a bit sloppy and had ragged edges. Easily removed with a razor blade and then edge dressing applied. Still I would have preferred to have them done as well as the shoeshine guys at the airport.

The work from Alden is superior to the $125 I paid 6 six months previously to Bennie's in Atlanta.

Pics of the recrafted shoes are from the unboxing and will buff up to a higher shine.

AKA, that was about my take on Alden's recrafting, "good, but not great." A bit sloppy on the polish and edge dressing part of the program. I wish there was a box to check that said "I don't need your shoe-trees or bags, just treat my shoes with about 10% more care and we'll call it a wash". ;-)

A.K.A.

Reaction score
TCN, I was happy to get new shoe bags and trees. I travel a lot and those bags come in handy. Since Alden charges more for a recraft than does AE, then the added value is fair exchange for poor finish work.

The soles and heels were far superior to any other independent cobbler's work. I like the brass nails in the heel and the dove-tail rubber block in the heel. After looking shoerepairman.com, even they don't offer the same level of soles and heels.

I feel as if Alden's overall quality has slipped, even on new shoes. Not sure what brand to move up to next.

hatguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.

I feel as if Alden's overall quality has slipped, even on new shoes. Not sure what brand to move up to next.

cj benchgrade?

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW i purchased my first pair of aldens the other week from JGILBERT and i was less than impressed, particularly at the price point. One day i'll get some pictures up; clearly there are QC issues going on there - some color splats on parts of the shoe. The leather is less than spectacular as well.

I would just keep an eye out for C+J Benchgrade or Handgrade to pop up on this forum. Compared to my C+J weymouths, the aldens are completely, completely outclassed.

rajesh06

Reaction score
I disagree - I just pucked up a pair of Alden captoes (my 6th - though 2 are from the Cap Cod selection).

Also the owner of 2 C&J (1 benchgrade; 1 re badged RL)

IMO: Alden > C&J

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
Nothing like reviving a 5 year-old thread.

I just got my recrafted Aldens back (suede plaintoe blucher with a flex welt on the Barrie last.)

These shoes were well-worn and well-loved pre-recraft and it showed. The soles both had deep holes (not through to the insole, though) and the backs of the heels were worn to a nub.

They resoled and re-heeled the shoes and cleaned up the sole edges; they also put a new lining over the heel of the insole. Shoes came with bags and standard trees. Overall, the work was pretty good and I'm glad these shoes are wearable again, though suede weather will be ending soon.

One thing that disappointed me was the replacement of the previous butter-soft oiled leather sole with a much stiffer replacement. The shoes used to wear like moccasins--and did so right out of the box-- and now they wear more or less like regular alden bluchers. I'm sure they'll break in and I'm happy to have them back, but I really wish they had used the original stock oiled soles for the recraft.

Overall, I'd give the recrafting process a B (including 2015 millennial grade inflation.)

Original soles (courtesy of @Epaulet, not my shoes):

My recrafted shoes:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads