Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

I just put in an order for my first pair of cordovans, at the Alden Shop in San Francisco. I chose the Norweigan Front Bluchers, which have a backlog of several weeks, which is fine with me.

But apart from that, the guy who took my call recommended I order 9 1/2 E, when I wear 9 1/2 D in every American shoe I own and my Ferragamos.

I'm not sure of the last on the Norweigans, but for the shoe mongers here, does that sound feasible, that I should wear a 9.5 E in those Alden shoes when I have always worn a 9.5 D in everything else?

2. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

If you were measured for the shoes, I would trust the salesman; if not, this situation does sound a little unusual, since Ferragamos seem narrower than Aldens in my experience. I would recommend you find an Alden retailer and get measured there (if you are near a Brooks Brothers, you can try them, since Alden makes their high-end American made shoes). Given the money involved, I think you want to make sure to get it right.

3. Stu

Stu Senior member

Thanks Shoefan. My problem is that I don't live in the U.S. right now -- at least not the mainland. When I move back. so I will try to find an Alden retailer then.

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Allen White is the proprietor of the Alden Shop in San Francisco, and he knows what he's talking about. If he's recommending a 9.5 E instead of a 9.5 D, there must be some reason, and he'll probably share it if you ask him.

FWIW, I own the shoe that you're considering. It's made on the Aberdeen last, and I've found that it's a bit narrower than than the other Alden lasts.

5. Stu

Stu Senior member

Thanks Jcusey. Mr. White was in fact the man I spoke to.