• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden PTB or Longwing for first Cordo?

marg

Reaction score
Please help! I am caught between the two, both in Color 8. Any help would be most appreciated.

I thought the longwing was an obvious choice, but when I put the PTB on, it looked significantly less clunky than I thought it would. My concern is that I have wide feet. 11E in cordo fit a little snug so the 11.5E should fit comfortably but a little long. I don't want my crazy feet to make the shoe look like a ripple disaster. Any advice would be great, especially from people with wider feet and their cordovan experiences.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude theres a ginourmous alden thread ...

that being said, both are classic and you cant go wrong with either. both can be worn casually or business. once you start, you wont stop and will eventually buy both anyway. if you like the less clunkiness of the barrie last of the lwb go ptb but both are fine

marg

Reaction score
I know there's a thread - I said something in there, but didn't get a response other than buy both. I'm leaning toward the longwing because I am afraid the ripples on the PTB will look terrible. I'm hoping for some knowledgeable feedback.

racknac

Reaction score
my next cordovan will likely be a whiskey PTB before I get a Longwing. I already have a Captoe boot in #8... it only looks more awesome with wear.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the AE Leeds in Cordovan, and the Alden Longwing in Cordovan. I bought the Leeds first, but I wear both regularly and love them both.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
+1 for AE Leeds. But uh... get both!
I'm selling an 11D (11.5 D, since it's Alden's Barrie last) Alden for Brooks Brothers PTB.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
chukka?

never thought about it...will it still be just as versatile as a longwing or PTB?

as for AE shoes, I saw a dark brown strand cordo that i like. i'll have to check that one out. can't believe how hesitant i was to buy the indy boots because of the price, and now i'm planning cordovan purchases. jeez...

marg

Reaction score
anyone have bad experiences with the ripples? if so, was there a reason why?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.