• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALDEN or non-Alden Indy Boots

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When they were rebuilt after the first blowout, they were resoled and reheeled.  They came back, for all practical purposes, as new boots.

I'm not an expert by any means, but it looks like the leather pulled away from the welt. You could PM DW to confirm, but if this is the case maybe you can get Alden to fix, or replace the boots.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not an expert by any means, but it looks like the leather pulled away from the welt. You could PM DW to confirm, but if this is the case maybe you can get Alden to fix, or replace the boots.

The OP said Alden won't fix the current problem he has.

I'd say +1 to the idea of shell cordovan Indy boots to see if those hold any better, although I'm not sure the type of leather is the issue - rather this seems to be a problem of welt and stitching

How did this "blowout" occur? Was it all of a sudden? Or was it a very gradual ripping and tearing away from the welt, stitch by stitch, that took weeks or months to happen?

By the way, those Beckman's look sharp, I hope you'll post a review after you've compared their durability, etc

Last edited:

viator

Reaction score

The previous blowout was in both boots, same spot. The left boot does not show the creasing evidenced in the photo, and that boot has not blown out this time. Yet.

No flat feed, no pronation, and the boots are not too large. I wear them invariably with REI middle-weight hiking socks, and they're a snug fit with no sliding around. I will note that my right foot turns out slightly more than the left due to a cycling injury about 32 years ago.

Based on the photos I wouldn't be too sure they fit correctly. I would go to a shop that carries multiple sizes and widths and try a few on just to be sure.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
The Wolverine "Courtland 1000 Mile" boot is remarkably similar to Alden's Indy boots, and have the moc-style toe that you're looking for. Amazon currently has them on sale for about $235.

mandorix

Reaction score
Having now had the Beckmans for two years, I find them exceptionally nice. I wear them much more frequently than I wore the Aldens before the first blowout, and they are comfortable all-day boots showing no signs of blowout. They needed a little stretching across the vamp to keep them from pressing on the top of my metacarpals, but once that was done they've served admirably.

It might be inferred from the foregoing that perhaps the Aldens blew out because I didn't get them stretched as I've done with the Beckmans. I didn't have them stretched because they were perfectly comfortable, with no hint that they might be too tight across the vamp. (If it ain''t broke, don't fix it.)

Are the Beckmans screen accurate? No. Do I care? No.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads