1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ALDEN or non-Alden Indy Boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LooknGr8, Mar 31, 2012.

1. mandorix

mandorix Member

When they were rebuilt after the first blowout, they were resoled and reheeled. They came back, for all practical purposes, as new boots.

2. mandorix

mandorix Member

I weigh between 170 and 175 pounds (77.1-79.3 kg) and am about 6' 2" (188 cm) tall.

3. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

You should probably post this in the Official Alden thread--there are a lot more experts that could give you some insight and a lot more higher volume of views.

4. mandorix

mandorix Member

Until LooknGr8 dragged me into being more conscious about these things quite recently, I never used anything on them. In the past few weeks, I had started using Lexol NF. The beat-up appearance is part of the "look" I've wanted, and I've never made any effort to avoid scuffs. The Lexol, which was most recently used just yesterday morning (before the photos) doesn't darken the leather.

5. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Hmmm, that's not it then. Do the previous blowout occur in the same spot?

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Looking at the creases around the instep, I'm wondering if the boots are too big. Also, do you have a low arch or flat foot? I've seen that type of creasing in shoes that are too large with a foot that pronates. I mean the foot rolls inward and crushes the leather.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. mandorix

mandorix Member

The previous blowout was in both boots, same spot. The left boot does not show the creasing evidenced in the photo, and that boot has not blown out this time. Yet.

No flat feed, no pronation, and the boots are not too large. I wear them invariably with REI middle-weight hiking socks, and they're a snug fit with no sliding around. I will note that my right foot turns out slightly more than the left due to a cycling injury about 32 years ago.

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I'm not an Indy expert - but wanted to chime in. They look worn, but not worn enough to warrant a (now second) blow-out, after just being repaired. Assuming Alden won't work with you on it, I'd check with a competent cobbler (B. Nelson comes to mind) to see if they are salvageable, in his expert opinion. The tearing around the "blow out" area looks dire though.

If not salvageable, look at getting a new pair (perhaps in shell cordovan, to stand up to the wear?). Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

+1

It could just be those boots. If you like them, it may worth trying another pair.

10. mandorix

mandorix Member

I've ordered a pair of Red Wing 1030 Beckmans. We'll see.

11. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

I'm not an expert by any means, but it looks like the leather pulled away from the welt. You could PM DW to confirm, but if this is the case maybe you can get Alden to fix, or replace the boots.

12. furo

furo Senior member

The OP said Alden won't fix the current problem he has.

I'd say +1 to the idea of shell cordovan Indy boots to see if those hold any better, although I'm not sure the type of leather is the issue - rather this seems to be a problem of welt and stitching

How did this "blowout" occur? Was it all of a sudden? Or was it a very gradual ripping and tearing away from the welt, stitch by stitch, that took weeks or months to happen?

By the way, those Beckman's look sharp, I hope you'll post a review after you've compared their durability, etc

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  13. viator

viator Senior member

Based on the photos I wouldn't be too sure they fit correctly. I would go to a shop that carries multiple sizes and widths and try a few on just to be sure.

14. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

The Wolverine "Courtland 1000 Mile" boot is remarkably similar to Alden's Indy boots, and have the moc-style toe that you're looking for. Amazon currently has them on sale for about $235.

15. mandorix

mandorix Member

Having now had the Beckmans for two years, I find them exceptionally nice. I wear them much more frequently than I wore the Aldens before the first blowout, and they are comfortable all-day boots showing no signs of blowout. They needed a little stretching across the vamp to keep them from pressing on the top of my metacarpals, but once that was done they've served admirably.

It might be inferred from the foregoing that perhaps the Aldens blew out because I didn't get them stretched as I've done with the Beckmans. I didn't have them stretched because they were perfectly comfortable, with no hint that they might be too tight across the vamp. (If it ain''t broke, don't fix it.)

Are the Beckmans screen accurate? No. Do I care? No.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.