• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden or Lobb? Which one?

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Hi. In addition to my attolini/brioni suit, I'm deciding between Alden Cordovan shoes and also Lobb. I like both and am amazed by the quality of both.

The only deciding factor for me right now is that I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and Alden shoes are readily available in Union Square for a lot of real time try/buy.

The Lobb's would have to be bought via internet.

What are your pros and cons and which should i choose? Would appreciate your input...

EasyGoing

Reaction score
Don't Neiman Marcus and Wilkes Bashford still carry Lobb shoes?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certain, not all.

The one at Tysons Galleria does, but the one at Mazza Gallerie does not (NM).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EasyGoing
Don't Neiman Marcus and Wilkes Bashford still carry Lobb shoes?
Where do they carry Attolini in the Bay Area? I know that Wilkes used to, but nobody does today that I can think of. Lobbs at Neimans and Wilkes, yes. SF Neimans it their best performing Men's department nationwide, so there is little that they don't carry that another Neimans does.

PuppetBoy

Reaction score
I've had great service from the Alden Shop in San Francisco both web order and phone order. I'd love to get a boondoggle out west so that I could try on a variety of shoes and lasts for future orders.

EasyGoing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Where do they carry Attolini in the Bay Area? I know that Wilkes used to, but nobody does today that I can think of.
I haven't been shopping in the Bay Area this century <gasp> but the only other places I can think of that might have Attolini are Buttondown and Malouf's in Burlingame. EDIT: Aside from the rare find at Jeremy's.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nighttrain7404
Hi. In addition to my attolini/brioni suit, I'm deciding between Alden Cordovan shoes and also Lobb. I like both and am amazed by the quality of both.

The only deciding factor for me right now is that I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and Alden shoes are readily available in Union Square for a lot of real time try/buy.

The Lobb's would have to be bought via internet.

What are your pros and cons and which should i choose? Would appreciate your input...

Apples and oranges. Lobbs are by far better quality, and the price is much higher as a result. Aldens are a great low-to-mid-level shoe. The only con about the Lobbs is that you cannot try them on and the price.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Apples and oranges. Lobbs are by far better quality, and the price is much higher as a result. Aldens are a great low-to-mid-level shoe. The only con about the Lobbs is that you cannot try them on and the price.

That's very interesting. I was under the impression that Aldens were comparable to Lobbs. Yes, I cannot try the Lobbs in my area. that is definitely a minus.

pkincy

Reaction score
Actually you can. Both NM SF Union Square and Wilkes Bashford have an excellent selection of JLs. NM SF also has an excellent selection of Kiton and WB has an excellent selection of StefaniB and Bontoni.

I do most of my serious shoe shopping within 1 blk of Union Square.

Perry

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's very interesting. I was under the impression that Aldens were comparable to Lobbs. Yes, I cannot try the Lobbs in my area. that is definitely a minus.
YOU LIVE IN THE BAY AREA!!! GO TO NEIMANS SF AND/OR WILKES BASHFORD AND TRY THEM ON!!!

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit is key. Get what you can try on, unless the vendor is willing to swap if the shoes don't fit. Even then, it could be a miss. If I were to get Lobb, I will make sure I try a few sizes to get proper fit.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
Actually you can. Both NM SF Union Square and Wilkes Bashford have an excellent selection of JLs. NM SF also has an excellent selection of Kiton and WB has an excellent selection of StefaniB and Bontoni.

I do most of my serious shoe shopping within 1 blk of Union Square.

Perry

Nice Perry!

I can visit Lobb AND Alden and see for myself. Thank you.

Do they usually fit true to size? I'm a size 11 shoe w/a wide base.
Does Niemann's offer to measure to fit Lobb shoes?

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Nice Perry!

I can visit Lobb AND Alden and see for myself. Thank you.

Do they usually fit true to size? I'm a size 11 shoe w/a wide base.
Does Niemann's offer to measure to fit Lobb shoes?

Are Edward green Shoes in the area?

Are Lobb and EG in the same breath? If Alden's are mid?

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mercedes v. Cadillac

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, Maloufs.

EGs and Lobbs are similar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads