• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden or Crockett & Jones Snuff Suede Loafer

Mister McGee

Reaction score
After purchasing the incorrect size of Grant Stone loafers in suede navy, I decided to invest in a pair of Crockett & Jones Harvard 2 or Alden 6221L unlined penny mocc in snuff suede.

I have no brand loyalty to either and simply want to find the best loafer for my taste/needs. I am in my late 40's and looking to own fewer but higher quality items. I want a loafer that I can wear for business casual (olive/khaki/navy colored chinos), indigo/dark denim on the weekend and a loafer I can pack while traveling that I can wear all day and still look good at night. Basically, I want the "Swiss Army knife" of loafers (if possible).

My wife is tired of hearing me talking about which model to order so she suggested ordering both to compare side by side. I received the C&J pair first and was instantly impressed. I measure US 10 on the brannock (medium width, C but closer to D) and the UK 9 fit like a glove (comfortable and gripped my foot nicely without feeling any bit tight). It looks sleek but not too sleek and the quality is impressive. I surely thought this was the pair for me and really purchased the Alden to confirm my suspicion that the C&J would be the best choice.

Today I received the Alden (sizes 9.5 and 10 to compare) and while it obviously reminds me of the Grant Stone loafer, it was super comfortable as soon as I slipped into it. My wife returned from work and favors the Alden. At this point, I am not sure which pair to keep

Few notes, I selected rubber soles as I want something that is comfortable to wear all day and can be worn in various climates including in the UK/Ireland where my wife's family lives and we visit often enough.

On the Alden, on one shoe, a small part of the stitching looks a bit sloppy (see photo included). The 6221L is machine stitched but it is disappointing to see this imperfection on a $600+ shoe. If I keep the Alden's, I will exchange it for another pair.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4755.jpg
    IMG_4755.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4749.jpg
    IMG_4749.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4750.jpg
    IMG_4750.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4761.jpg
    IMG_4761.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4752.jpg
    IMG_4752.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4751.jpg
    IMG_4751.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4756.jpg
    IMG_4756.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4757.jpg
    IMG_4757.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4758.jpg
    IMG_4758.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4759.jpg
    IMG_4759.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4753.jpg
    IMG_4753.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4763.jpg
    IMG_4763.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4762.jpg
    IMG_4762.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4764.jpg
    IMG_4764.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 93

The Noble Dandy

Reaction score
CJs all the way. They are more elegant and with less contrast between the stitches and the leather. You can easily wear them with almost any outfit from shorts to flannel suits. The Alden looks a bit too rough and casual for my taste

KOz

Reaction score
At this point pick the pair that's the most comfortable. A loafer that fits oddly, cramps your toes or instep, or causes any other discomforts is not worth it.

Aesthetics wise, they will both work for your circumstances. Aldens all the more with jeans.

onemoretime

Reaction score
Agree with Noble. If this were for a 'summer loafer', I'd go with the higher contrast stitching & welt on the Alden (comfort/fit being equivalent). For your description of an all purpose day to night shoe, definitely the more subtle style of the C&J. The Alden doesn't really fit that bill for me.

lurker33

Reaction score
Sounds like the C&J fits you great and i agree that it looks more versatile for the use case you describe. Should be an easy choice.

Mister McGee

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward going with the C&J. To be certain fit wise, I will wear them all day while working from home today. I do think the Alden are just slightly more comfortable but that is because of the wider last but the trade off (to me) is that they look more casual which is great with denim but trying on both with even chinos, the C&J look smarter.

Mister McGee

Reaction score
At this point pick the pair that's the most comfortable. A loafer that fits oddly, cramps your toes or instep, or causes any other discomforts is not worth it.

Aesthetics wise, they will both work for your circumstances. Aldens all the more with jeans.
Both of them are comfortable, Alden maybe a tiny bit more do to he wider last but the quality seems to be better with C&J. Looks wise, I think the C&J looks smarter overall and the Alden looks better worn casually with denim. I think I will stick with the C&J.

Mister McGee

Reaction score

Luckily, neither cramps my toes or instep. I agree that Alden looks better with jeans but wearing both with chinos, the C&J looked smarter in my opinion.

Mister McGee

Reaction score
Sounds like the C&J fits you great and i agree that it looks more versatile for the use case you describe. Should be an easy choice.
Wearing both of them over the next few days while working from home but I am leaning towards keeping the C&J. I think overall the C&J will be more versatile, being a bit smarter/sleek looking but I can still wear them with jeans. The Alden is very nice and comfortable but definitely more of a casual shoe.

Mister McGee

Reaction score
Agree with Noble. If this were for a 'summer loafer', I'd go with the higher contrast stitching & welt on the Alden (comfort/fit being equivalent). For your description of an all purpose day to night shoe, definitely the more subtle style of the C&J. The Alden doesn't really fit that bill for me.
I think you are correct about the subtle style of the C&J works best for my needs.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katywest335