• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Norwegian Front Square Toe

Gatsby

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing these shoes: Alden Norwegian Square Toe While I have found the Norwegian Front here in Japan, I haven't seen the square toe available. After scouring the web, I haven't been able to find any other retailer of this shoe except Alden of Carmel. The website lists that "Alden Fan shoes are made by the Alden Shoe Company in small quanitities, exclusively for Alden of Carmel." So I am correct in assuming that they are the ONLY supplier?? Can anyone who own's the model attest to this? Thanks..

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe this is correct- AOC have several models specifically made for them. They are overall, IMO, a better collection than the regular Alden line. I'm sure if you know your size in Alden they're the same fit though, and I'm quite sure you could return them if need be.

Great choice BTW, I love that model and still hope to get it one day.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This model is not sold iin either one of the larger New York Alden shoe stores (Wright-Alden or Citishoes) and is not found in the catalog. So it has to be an exclusive.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So it has to be an exclusive.
Well, it's exclusive in the sense that only Alden of Carmel carries it. It's not exclusive in the sense that any retailer (or any customer who is willing to pay the added cost and wait three months or longer) could spec out the exact same shoe and Alden would make it for them.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden of Carmel at present is the only supplier of Norwegian front square toe blucher oxford. This shoe in either black or burgundy shell cordovan is outstanding and is worth the three months waiting period.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben Silver carries a similar Alden shoe, but without the square toe.  I prefer Alden of Carmel's version (I've bought three pair.)

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alden's standard version comes on the Aberdeen last, while Adam Knott's (Alden of Carmel) version comes on the Plaza last. The first has a slightly pointed, the latter a slightly square toe. Currently Alden's main catalogue does not offer the Norwegian in shell cordovan, but the Alden shop in San Francisco does.

Other (and more important) differences: the Carmel version has 6 eyelets (standard has 5) and has a plain heel; the Alden version has a heel counter (heal cap). I quite like the counter, as it helps to balance the heavy vamp (front). Also Alden's version has a narrowly cut welt (apart from the "All weather" version) while Carmel has a chunkier welt.

Ultimately it's your choice.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden's standard version comes on the Aberdeen last, while Adam Knott's (Alden of Carmel) version comes on the Plaza last. The first has a slightly pointed, the latter a slightly square toe. Currently Alden's main catalogue does not offer the Norwegian in shell cordovan, but the Alden shop in San Francisco does.

Other (and more important) differences: the Carmel version has 6 eyelets (standard has 5) and has a plain heel; the Alden version has a heel counter (heal cap). I quite like the counter, as it helps to balance the heavy vamp (front). Also Alden's version has a narrowly cut welt (apart from the "All weather" version) while Carmel has a chunkier welt.

Ultimately it's your choice.
I've worn the aberdeen last.  How would you characterize it?  I'd say it's rather wide and roomy, I suppose, for a "normal" D width.

Anyone care to run down the qualities of the various Alden lasts?  Or might I find this info. online?

Edit: also the Barrie last, which I've worn and is most comfortable, is a pretty damn big, roomy, gunboat last in the toe area, no? (all this relatively speaking of course).

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the webpage from the Alden of Carmel catalog that describes the various fittings. My 9E Alden tassel loafers (Aberdeen last) are somewhat longer but somewhat less wide (1/8") than the equivalent Allen Edmonds size. The Plaza last is used for the cordovan penny loafer. I don't know if Brooks uses its own sizing or follows Alden (i.e., is a 9D Brooks cordovan loafer the same size as a 9D Alden?) for this item. http://<a href="http://www.alden-of-......ing.htm</a>

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From personal experience from friends, family and myself the Alden fan shoes on the plaza last you need to order a half size larger than Alden regular shoes. You should also be aware that the Alden fan shoes are made only in widths D and E. I like the Alden fan shoe better than my Edward Green or my Vass shoes but this is personal taste. They all make great shoes and you can not lose selecting any of the shoes made by these companies.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From personal experience from friends, family and myself the Alden fan shoes on the plaza last you need to order a half size larger than Alden regular shoes. You should also be aware that the Alden fan shoes are made only in widths D and E. I like the Alden fan shoe better than my Edward Green or my Vass shoes but this is personal taste. They all make great shoes and you can not lose selecting any of the shoes made by these companies.
Which Alden Fan(s) do you own? And which E. Green/ Vass shoes are you comparing them to? No agenda here; merely curious (I own none of the aforementioned shoes...yet).

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used the EG-Dover on the 82 last, the Vass-Norwegian cognac boccalf on the peter last and Alden of carmel norwegian front square toe on the plaza last.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used the EG-Dover on the 82 last, the Vass-Norwegian cognac boccalf on the peter last and Alden of carmel norwegian front square toe on the plaza last.
Ah, so it's a fairly apples to apples comparison, in that they are all a variation of a norwegian split-toe shoe. Makes sense.
thumbs-up.gif

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are all great shoes and what ever you buy you will not be sorry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads