• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

yulun405

Reaction score
Since #4 is a no go, I put my vote in for the Ravello "Obscura".

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be fair, it does also have a medallion, other brogueing, and it will come in a different color from the makeup you linked to.

That's true. I didn't say "lose all its uniqueness", just "some".

mr chorizo

Reaction score

Updated Monday Morning #4 Obscura Boot Vote:
We now have 24 responses (which is a stellar turnout and I think makes it pretty profitable for our good friend, Mike!!! Thanks for working with us.)
Last: (people were able to designate multiple options)
10 Grant
10 Leydon
8 Barrie
5 Plaza
Sole:
13 double waterloc flex welt sole
8 commando
6 either
Welt:
12 Flat 360 Degree Welt
11 Flat Closed Heel Welt
Edge Trim:
22 Antique
Eyelets (all)
15 Matching
3 Brass
5 Either
Medallion:
8 Yes
7 No
8 Either
Pull Tab:
9 Yes
2 No
So the makeup right now would be as follows:
#4 Obscura Boot on either Grant or Leydon Last with a toe medallion
Antique Edgetrim
Double Waterloc Flex Welt Sole
Matching all eyelets
Pull Tab
If anyone else is interested you can vote here...Thanks to all who have expressed interest and thanks Mike for being willing to work with us.

Let's tally up the color options but it looks like ravello might be the winner from what responses I've seen.

If we are splitting up this "New Obscura" make up into two, here's how i propose we do it.

1) Grant last, double waterlock sole, and closed heel (270) welt. This will be the dressier of two. all other details stay the same.

2) Leydon last, commando sole, 360 flat welt. All other details stay the same. This will be a little chunkier without going to the barrie, and those who favor the barrie might find that an E width in the leydon is similar enough. I can't speak to this from experience but maybe someone here can.

These are just my suggestions...feel free to elaborate as you guys see fit.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's tally up the color options but it looks like ravello might be the winner from what responses I've seen.
If we are splitting up this "New Obscura" make up into two, here's how i propose we do it.
1) Grant last, double waterlock sole, and closed heel (270) welt. This will be the dressier of two. all other details stay the same.
2) Leydon last, commando sole, 360 flat welt. All other details stay the same. This will be a little chunkier without going to the barrie, and those who favor the barrie might find that an E width in the leydon is similar enough. I can't speak to this from experience but maybe someone here can.

Perfect!

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right now the vote for the shell color is 6 to 1 with Ravello leading.

I think those two options sound good; the only suggestion I would have is that I would suggest using the Plaza last for the dressier boot version. Not really sure the Grant is really that much sleeker than the Leydon.

Also, considering we only have 7 votes so far, I am concerned that we may not have as many as we originally thought for a #4 version. But let's see how that plays out.

For all those who haven't voted, please use the following form to express your interest on shell color and the version preferred,

"Obscura" Inspired Boot

Last edited:

husbands

Reaction score
I voted cigar but would be okay with ravello

but I much, much prefer the casual set up

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right now the vote for the shell color is 6 to 1 with Ravello leading.
I think those two options sound good; the only suggestion I would have is that I would suggest using the Plaza last for the dressier boot version. Not really sure the Grant is really that much sleeker than the Leydon.
Also, considering we only have 7 votes so far, I am concerned that we may not have as many as we originally thought for a #4 version. But let's see how that plays out.
For all those who haven't voted, please use the following form to express your interest on shell color and the version preferred,
"Obscura" Inspired Boot

For the two versions, I do agree that the wider last should be the more rugged make-up. But isn't the Grant wider than the Leydon? That was always my impression.

Regardless, we're going to need more votes to get even one of these makeups done. It looks like the #4 color was the main draw originally.

I voted cigar but would be okay with ravello
but I much, much prefer the casual set up

I definitely agree. If there is only one version, I would want it to be the more rugged makeup. That closed heel welt is still likely a dealbreaker for me on this one.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the two versions, I do agree that the wider last should be the more rugged make-up. But isn't the Grant wider than the Leydon? That was always my impression.
Regardless, we're going to need more votes to get even one of these makeups done. It looks like the #4 color was the main draw originally.
I definitely agree. If there is only one version, I would want it to be the more rugged makeup. That closed heel welt is still likely a dealbreaker for me on this one.

I agree regarding the more casual boot. A 360 welt, commando sole, on the Leydon last would be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm fine with Ravello or Cigar.

Also, someone mentioned using the Plaza last for the dressier boot. How is the vote coming down for that?

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree regarding the more casual boot. A 360 welt, commando sole, on the Leydon last would be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm fine with Ravello or Cigar.
Also, someone mentioned using the Plaza last for the dressier boot. How is the vote coming down for that?

Just to clarify, the more casual boot has the following differentiated specs:

Leydon Last Commando Sole 360 Degree Storm Welt

No one had really voted for a closed heel on the original makeup, so I made the storm welt modification to make it more rugged, but kept it 360 degree which was almost everyone's preference.

For the dressier version the specs are as follows:

Grant or Plaza Last Double Waterloc Oiled Flex Sole 360 Degree Flat Welt

For those who voted for the dressier version, the vote is 4 to 1, Grant.

If you are interested in either option and haven't voted, you can do so here.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You didn't answer my question, though. Is the Leydon last wider than the Grant last? I always thought it was narrower.

Just to clarify, the more casual boot has the following differentiated specs:
Leydon Last Commando Sole 360 Degree Storm Welt
No one had really voted for a closed heel on the original makeup, so I made the storm welt modification to make it more rugged, but kept it 360 degree which was almost everyone's preference.
For the dressier version the specs are as follows:
Grant or Plaza Last Double Waterloc Oiled Flex Sole 360 Degree Flat Welt
For those who voted for the dressier version, the vote is 4 to 1, Grant.
If you are interested in either option and haven't voted, you can do so here.

Would people actually want a storm welt? Even on the rugged boot, I would prefer a flat welt.

I just voted on your form, with the current configurations listed there, I am leaning towards the dressier version. However, I do prefer the commando sole, so if you change the welt on the rugged version to a flat welt, I'll probably end up going for that one.

BTW, been meaning to ask, any objection to speed hooks on one of these configurations?

Last edited:

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And not pro storm welt

I would be happy to have the flat 360 welt on the more casual version. I have no problem with that. I would prefer it, but was attempting to create a differentiation for folks. Otherwise, not sure it is really worth going to the effort of having two different makeups where the difference is only last and sole (albeit the two most significant things). Let's keep things as is right now and see how the voting turns out.

No one wanted speedhooks on the original makeup, so not inclined to make that change now.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would be happy to have the flat 360 welt on the more casual version. I have no problem with that. I would prefer it, but was attempting to create a differentiation for folks. Otherwise, not sure it is really worth going to the effort of having two different makeups where the difference is only last and sole (albeit the two most significant things). Let's keep things as is right now and see how the voting turns out.
No one wanted speedhooks on the original makeup, so not inclined to make that change now.

That option was never put up to a vote, you assumed that everybody wanted all lace holes on all of your voting forms. I wrote in that I wanted speed hooks on the original form, and that is still my preference.

If you don't like speed hooks, fine, but if you're not going to buy both make-ups, why not let them be an option for a vote on the one you are not getting?

Last edited:

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That option was never put up to a vote, you assumed that everybody wanted all lace holes on all of your voting forms. I wrote in that I wanted speed hooks on the original form, and that is still my preference.
If you don't like speed hooks, fine, but if you're not going to buy both make-ups, why not let them be an option for a vote on the one you are not getting?

I am happy to put it up to another vote...But all we do is get in a circular never-ending situation. By the way, you are the only one who expressed an interest in speedhooks in the voting form.

FYI, looks like the dressier version may be a cigar version. The vote is 5 to 4, Cigar on the dressier version. Ravello on the more casual one. Voting form updated here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads