• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mr chorizo

Reaction score

ThomSquared

Reaction score

i'm down for either cigar or ravello, but I voted ravello as i think the detailing will read better on a lighter color shell. either way it's a great boot.

Very true, I noticed that the Cigar shoes I have seen have been really nice and they go with just about any outfit but hide a lot of the great details in a shoe.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man.....alden preorder times are friggen crazy. 12-18 months. holy ****. we are all going to die in december.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm down for either cigar or ravello, but I voted ravello as i think the detailing will read better on a lighter color shell. either way it's a great boot.

I had a hard time picking between Cigar and Ravello. I'm 100% indifferent I think.

JPFNY5

Reaction score
That's a real shame. Nonetheless, we had 29 people express interest in the #4 "Obscura"-inspired boot generally with the following details voted on:
"Obscura"-inspired Semi-Brogue Boot
With a Medallion
Grant Last
Double Waterloc Oiled Flex Sole
Flat 360 Degree Welt
Antique Edge Trim
Matching All Eyelets
Pull Tab
Any interest in transitioning the shell color to Ravello or Cigar?
Vote here...

Just seems ORDINARY!!! Nice but why not something truly UNIQUE?

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just seems ORDINARY!!! Nice but why not something truly UNIQUE?

JPFNY5, I think we are all open to good ideas. I am trying to get the mixed media scotch grain/reverse chamois boot off the ground, but not much traction.

I have never seen a boot like this made before by Alden so I think this is pretty unique, in my humble estimation.

mr chorizo

Reaction score
we are missing the obvious...

For the guys who are on the fence about different lasts, we have more than enough traction to do two makeups...(one with commando sole, one without etc). i hate to open this can of worms all over again but this is an obvious fact that could satisfy everyone!

for example, we could do leydon for one, grant on another. I feel really strongly about the commando sole and that vote was almost tied, so we could definitely split that option.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the guys who are on the fence about different lasts, we have more than enough traction to do two makeups...(one with commando sole, one without etc). i hate to open this can of worms all over again but this is an obvious fact that could satisfy everyone!
for example, we could do leydon for one, grant on another. I feel really strongly about the commando sole and that vote was almost tied, so we could definitely split that option.

Mr. Chorizo, I think this is a very diplomatic solution; the only hesitation would be burdening Mike at Epaulet with a split makeup like that. I am not sure how the back end allocation of ravello works or if he has limited slots for special makeups, etc. that he wouldn't want to burn, etc...Clearly that is conjecture and will let Mike speak for himself.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This seems like a good solution given the feasibility constraints on Epaulet.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

JPFNY5, I think we are all open to good ideas. I am trying to get the mixed media scotch grain/reverse chamois boot off the ground, but not much traction.
I have never seen a boot like this made before by Alden so I think this is pretty unique, in my humble estimation.

I really love this idea. We can only do one point of contrast on it, and both the left and right boots have to match (I know that Trickers and McNairy have had the contrasting panels alternate).

This one's a bit of a dark horse, but how about I build out a preorder for it tomorrow and then we keep that up for a week? If at least 11 people buy into it (I'm definitely getting one), then we'll put it into work. If not, then we can refund everyone's deposit. That sound fair?

I voted for purple lining!

Haha, well I seriously love a purple liner. I use that for every Carmina makeup that we do, and I line my Southwick jackets with purple. Unfortunately, this isn't possible with Alden. It's even problematic to get their red liner, which is typically used in formal shoes. Unfortunately, we'll have to stick with the usual complimentary-colored linings.

Mr. Chorizo, I think this is a very diplomatic solution; the only hesitation would be burdening Mike at Epaulet with a split makeup like that. I am not sure how the back end allocation of ravello works or if he has limited slots for special makeups, etc. that he wouldn't want to burn, etc...Clearly that is conjecture and will let Mike speak for himself.

Thanks for the consideration, but it's no burden for us at all. I'm more than happy to set up a few different makeups. We'll need at least 12 guys per makeup, but that hasn't been a problem yet.

This is totally fine. Let's see where the consensus is in a few days and I'll set up two new preorder items with one-week order periods.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, captoe boots in cigar and ravello are regularly restocked at various Alden retailers (Leffot, Tassels, Alden DC, etc) on various lasts (Grant, Barrie). Don't be surprised if makers like Unionmade also have some new ones in the pipeline. A truly unique boot would be something like a plaza last with something like a single leather sole (basically a sleek Alden boot) or something similar to the "mixed media" boot JPFNY5 is suggesting. The mixed media boot would likely be finished faster as well.

EDIT - I just saw that Mike may be doing a preorder on the mixed media, I may get in on that

Last edited:

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW, captoe boots in cigar and ravello are regularly restocked at various Alden retailers (Leffot, Tassels, Alden DC, etc) on various lasts (Grant, Barrie).

While this may be true, they are usually stocked in "standard" sizes and people with wider (or narrower) feet never have the opportunity to get them. I would absolutely love a Ravello cap toe boot, but I have no idea where i'll find one in an 11EE or 11.5E on the grant. Leffot's preorders for next year didn't include that size. My only option is to get in on a preorder (which seems impossible) or get in on a custom MTO group buy for one

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads